removing drum nut on Barient 32ST primary winch?

mark reed

Member III
I hate to admit that I haven't serviced my primary winches in the 4 years that I've owned the boat! I know I'm way overdue. The first step is to remove the drum nut, and I can't loosen either one of them! I've removed this same part with no problem on other winches, but these won't budge. Squirted a bunch of Liquid wrench into the top, bent a bronze deck key, and have also tried putting a screwdriver into one of the holes and applying the winch handle, as advised by Arco. All to no avail.

Any other ideas? What about hot water?

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Screwdriver...

Hey Mark, I'm not sure what ARCO suggests, but I use a #2 phillips at a 45 degree angle or so in one of the holes with the tip pointing so it will rotate counter clockwise- then tap gently with a rubber mallet or a pump handle or something.
Chris

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I find that a little heat applied with a heat gun does wonders for moving recalcitrant metal to metal items, especially if liquid wrench has been applied and had some time to soak in.

I serviced mine this last month, but didn't have this problem.

mark reed

Member III
finally removed them!

I was finally able to remove the drum nuts by taking Chris's suggestion to the next level - a pin punch and a hammer!:esad: Luckily, only a little cosmetic damage done. And the winches look really good inside - not much wear after 18 years. I ordered spare pawls, springs, and spacers from Arco, just to be safe.