Removing A Broken Grease Fitting

lbertran

Member III
I'll confess immediately that this is not a problem with my E35-3. I also have a small skiff with a Honda outboard on it. One of the grease fittings on the trim shaft sheared off with the grease gun. There is a hollow threaded section of the grease fitting still left in the hole. I've got to get that out before I can replace with a new one. Not sure how to get it out and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm planning on making a trip to my local Sears after work today since I see on their web site that they have a number of screw and bolt extractors. In my case the center of the fastener is hollow. Thanks for your consideration!

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis

Glyn Judson

Removing your grease fitting.

Laura, You're on the right track thinking about getting a remover but first try anything small you have at hand to save the cost of buying a tool you might only use once in your life time. Try a small pocket-sized Phillips or slot screwdriver or even better yet, a leather hole punch from your Swiss Army knife first. That hole punch might be what I'd try first as I think about it. It'll be small enough to go into the hole and its sharp cutting edge might well dig into the inside of the hole just enough to allow you to back the broken part out. Once out, keep the threads and take them with you to an auto parts store or chandlery so they can match the metric threads to a new fitting. Simply install the new one and snug it down with a small wrench or with a pair of kitchen junk drawer pliers. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

lbertran

Member III
Thanks, Glyn!

That sounds like a great idea. I do have a leather hole punch so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Laura