Reefing lines for E26-2

Treesinthewind

Hi - I have a new to me 1989 E26-2 that a PO outfitted with lazy jacks and full length battens. There are two rows of reefing grommets but no apparent mechanism or line to use for reefing. I have searched the entire boat but am not sure what I am looking for. Any suggestions or photos of the reefing lines and how to outfit the sail with new ones if mine are MIA?

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpeg
    IMG_1848.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1846.jpeg
    IMG_1846.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 27

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Look for a means at the end of the boom to provide slab reefing. Perhaps the boom has sheaves built in there, to permit a reef line to run inside the boom. If not, a cheek block can be installed on the outside of the boom, and the reef line lead forward to a cleat on the boom near the gooseneck.

The red arrows might show that you already have internal boom reefing. There also might be a reef tack line downhaul already on the sail (I don't see a horn on the gooseneck, which is the standard way to attach the reef tack.)

Here's a thread on the topic, there are many available through Search. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e32-3-reefing-mysteries-master-thread.15826/

Capture close.JPG

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
First, welcome! Always glad to have another E26 here. Help us out by filling out your signature line in your profile so we can see the year, engine, etc. of your boat.

It looks like you have an ISOMAT/Sparcraft spar. My E26 (as well as a few others) have Kenyon spars, so I can't help much with direct advice.

There was a relevant thread here, but Pete looks to be inactive: E 26 Isomat boom (NB26?) question
It appears that @vasuvius, @NW26, and maybe @Brad Johnson all have the same one. Search for some threads by them or perhaps they will chime in since I tagged them.

Hope that helps!

Brad Johnson

Member III
There is two internal reefing line in boom and the outhau lwhich is the center cam near the mast, the outer two are the reefing, I set up my first reef back to cockpit.