Recovering The Back Cushions On An E29

taz4

E29 1977
Hello everyone,

Im going to recover the cushions on my E29 and Im not sure how to remove the back part of the cushion. Im not sure how its fixed to the boat and I didnt want to force it. Any ideas?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Cushions

Taz- Most likely they were screwed in with a finish washer between the pletes or the gap in the upholstry. If you take a pry bar and gently work the back piece you can pull them out clean. Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

Ron342

Member I
Cushions

Taz - Hope you figure this out - I'm ready to do the same on my E29 - I'm trying to match the original fabric which is a dark blue velvet like fabric - are you going to keep the original fabric bottoms - if so where did you find a match up on the fabric?
Thanks
Ron

taz4

E29 1977
Hello Ron,

Im not as far along as you by the sounds of it. Ive currently got a beige and brown rough fabric. I was possibly thinking of just covering them with sunbrella. But Im a little worried about taking those backs of. Have you heard of how to do it?

Ill probably just end up pulling them through like Rob has suggested.

missalot

Member II
Hi Taz,

I have a 1970 E29. The seat backs on mine were held in place as Ron H suggested. Little screws buried in the pleats of the cushions. They are small so you can either dig and look, or take a small pry bar and work them out. I changed my seat backs to smaller sections, accessed the void behind and hinged them for more storage.

Good luck,

Kyle

Ron342

Member I
E back cushions

Hey Taz - yes I did one of them - its not too bad - about 4-5 inches down from the top and in line with the pleat in the cushion is a horizontal row of small screws run back into the fiberglas behind the cushion - I think they just ran it right through the fabric then thru the backing of the cushion then into the glas because there is a small p;uncture hole in the fabric mostly hidden in the fold of the pleat. I used a p;utty knife to pull the seat back away from the glas til I located a screw then I put the v of a wide thin pry bar over the screw and p;ry back - they simply p;ull out of the glass. To go back you could do the same as ericson did I guess or use one of those bayonet type upholstery clips set in the seat backing to snap into a mating hole in the glas

Now if I can find some fabric to match mine ( dark blue cardurory material) I'll get to step 2! My backs are mostly ok but some of the buttoms are missing or rotted.
Ron

Ron342

Member I
E29 Cushions

You'd probably have to snip off the old screw end too Taz to put them back unless you could locate the screw thru the fabric hole again

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
On my 78 E29 the seat backs have a strap sewn into the back side at the to woth three snaps that hold them in place. The 78 has storage behind the seats and there is only the uphostered foam covering the holes (no backer board in the seat). I can post pictures of the storage holes and seat backs if anyone is interested in the format used on my model

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
pictures of seat back storage.

Here are the pictures of the seat back storage in my 78 E29. The openings are about 18 inhes long and about 5 inches high. There is padded vinyl that is glued to the inside of the hul to finish the compartment.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 54

wanderer

Member II
Randy, those holes are "stock"?

I've got a E27 and was looking at that area specifically for additional storage.

Does that void take up the entire seatback area? That would be tons of blanket ,clothing, rope, dog and book storage!

:egrin:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
You can estimate the depth of the cavity at the top by the depth of the shelf above the seat backs at the bottom it tapers off to nothing at the level of the liner for the seat bottom . My 29 has storage behind all seat backs. Now I am wondering if there is storage behind the cushions in the quarter and if so what treasures are there hidden for the finding. I have to go out in the cold and check that out this AM.

I couldn't wait any longer I climbed the frost covered ladder and checked. no storage in quarter but room for some. before I cut I will do a drawing of the shelf and the quarter wall the cushion fits on and see if it is worth the work.

I have found that with the storage on the 29 I can't remember where things are and I plan to make a Q-card to locate things by compartment.