Recommended fuel filter assembly

patrscoe

Member III
Well, I posted the thread on the air leak a few weeks ago and I thought I found it but I was wrong. Today, great sail and wind, 15 to 16 kts all day and when I started back in and got near my channel, my engine would not stay running. I sailed towards a shoal, anchored and went down below. I grabbed the primary Racor 220 series filter and I felt fuel on my hands but the filter was tight so it is coming from the seal or housing, not a lot but apparently enough to cause a suction. I practically replaced almost every thing within the fuel system within the last 6 to 7 months except the primary filter assembly - which Christian warned me in one of my posts that it might be a cause.
It makes sense, it is on the suction side of the pump and what I thought was the hose clamp being too loose, it was the filter assembly all along.
I was able to bleed the air out and get back in my slip.

Besides the Racor 500 series, are there any other recommendations for a fuel filter assembly?
I cannot find the Racor 220 series assembly which would be nice to replace sense I have two 30 milc filters for this assembly.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Buy the filter/separator you want and, assuming your spares are new in the original packing, swap them for the new spares you need where you buy it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strictly "FWIW", about a decade ago when our engine quit while we were on vacation, we used some spare hose/parts to plumb around the Racor 220 series and just use the engine spin-on filter for the rest of the season. I never did find exactly where the Racor was letting the air in, but somewhere in one of those two rubber ring gaskets there had to be a minuscule leakage.
Back then, I changed to the newer Racor, but same form factor.
In 2018 when we changed engines I also changed to the Racor 500 series (blog entry on this site). Every mechanic I know sez it's better to change to the 500 model.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Strictly "FWIW", about a decade ago when our engine quit while we were on vacation, we used some spare hose/parts to plumb around the Racor 220 series and just use the engine spin-on filter for the rest of the season. I never did find exactly where the Racor was letting the air in, but somewhere in one of those two rubber ring gaskets there had to be a minuscule leakage.
Back then, I changed to the newer Racor, but same form factor.
In 2018 when we changed engines I also changed to the Racor 500 series (blog entry on this site). Every mechanic I know sez it's better to change to the 500 model.
Yup. Switch to the 500. Open your wallet, cry once, and be done with it.

(You will recoup some of the cost over time with the much cheaper filters. And then there's the joy of being able to change those filters in a seaway with the prospect of not slopping diesel fuel all over your cabin sole and engine compartment....)