recommendation for new 2 bank battery charger replacement

Scott Abbott

Member III
pulled my old one out and looking for a good replacement. I would like to be able to plug 110V cord to it from dock, or plug a solar panel into it to trickle charge batteries when away from dock. Do they make such a thing?

P Abele

Member II
In getting our boat commissioned for the spring I found our old charger dead as well so am shopping for a new system. While replacing the charger I would like to at least consider upgrading some other things as well, such as our current battery voltage meter and possibly adding functionality of an inverter (assuming it can be done for reasonable $$). Since the wiring between our AC panel and battery banks is existing I am guessing this should be a pretty easy install but am interested to hear about experiences and resources others have used to layout and choose specific components. Thanks!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I don't have an inverter, so my only input would be that you will need 12 volt wiring the size of your engine starting wiring to supply an inverter. When you step up the voltage 10 times you also step up the 12 volt current 10 times plus the inefficiency of the inverter.

There's no free lunch. 1000 watts is 83 amps plus the inefficiency of the inverter. I'd plan on 100 amps. The starter on an M-25XP is also rated at 1000 watts.