Rebedding the standing rigging and deck hardware

Howdy folks,

The wife and I have decided to try to eliminate the remaining water penetration into the cabin of our E29 by rebedding all the standing rigging & deck hardware with butyl tape. How much of a nachtmare are we looking at? I assume we'll have to step the mast before beginning this endeavor? If anyone knows of a good DIY/blog on this project, it would be greatly appreciated if you would share.

We're still up on the hard right now, so if there's any part of this job that can be accomplished before stepping the mast when she's back in the wet, I'm all ears.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
If the mast is up now, tie off halyards to stanchion bases or cleats to hold the mast while you are working on stays and upper shroud chain plates. They don't all have to be done at the same time.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Standing rigging while the mast is off

I would think it would be easier to rebed the chainplates and standing rigging while the mast is off the boat, and then you can do the lifeline stanchions while the mast is up or down.

I rebed one leaking chainplate (with the mast up) and found a lot of deck rot that needed to be repaired before reattaching the stay to the chainplate. I attached the stay to the base of a life line stanchion for a little over a week, and I worried constantly every time it got windy. It ended up just fine though and I don't even think it pulled too hard on the base. (In the slip the whole time)

There's lots of suggestions for butyl tape online. That's what I used. I'm going to give that dolphinite bedding compound a try on a stanchion to see how it compares. Good Luck!

Dean
1970 E-32
Vivant