Rebedding handrails on an E27

Jarod

Member III
About to tackle this job and looking for words of advice. It appears i only have access to the end bolts on the handrails due to the inner headliner. Are the others just screws as I can see the outside ones (fore and aft) are bolts with nuts on the inside, please advise.

Thanks
jarod

tenders

Innocent Bystander
If your 27 is like my 32, the bolts screw into threaded inserts which are themselves threaded/stuck into the cabin top. Nothing goes through.

I took 'em off, filled the holes, and plan to replace them (and countermount handrails in the cabin while I'm at it) but to tell the truth I haven't really missed them.

The wood of my handrails was a lot weaker than I thought. The inserts were a lot looser and more corroded than I thought. Even at full strength the inserts are not an inherently very strong design. This knowledge made me look at handrails in a very different light: as originally installed, they might help with balance but they are not really a safety item.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
On my 29 there is a gap between the headliner and the laminated deck. At first I thought the wood was out of the deck but then realized that the two shells are not in full contact. The bolt through mount with the inside and outside handrails bolted through is very strong and the inner are more needed when under way than the outer. Go for the bolt through inner and outer and you will be glad. The process is documented under the 29 owner’s manual page 68.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Randy, when you did this what did you do about the space between the headliner and the deck? Fill it...or tighten the throughbolt down and bring the headliner in contact with the deck? Or something else?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Gap Or Not

My boat came with the inside and outside through bolted handrails. The gap is small and the headliner flexes to close the gap.

Refer to page 68 on the E29 manual for bolt lengths install process.

On any new mounting or re-bedding it would be a good idea to drill the holes larger than the bolt, fill with epoxy and re-drill to size. This will prevent water from getting into the core of the boat.

rod sanburn

Member II
Hand Rails 74 E-27

Jarod,
My 74' E-27 external 9 loop hand rails are thru bolted to the internal hand rails. 2- 6 loop space then single interior. The 1/4 x20 x 5" bolts w/ nuts and washers are recessed in rail under teak plugs. I rebedded them 4 years ago 3M5200. They have worked loose at 3 points and I retighten 2 and replaced one bolt a couple of weeks ago. I would like to replace the nine loop, but have not found any. I don't know if this is factory or ? Rod

Jarod

Member III
Thanks for the replies

Rod I don't think that is a factory setup at least mine did not come from the factory that way. It may have been an option but I just have the handrails on the deck.

Last edited:

timday5

Member II
Jarod,
My 74' E-27 external 9 loop hand rails are thru bolted to the internal hand rails. 2- 6 loop space then single interior. The 1/4 x20 x 5" bolts w/ nuts and washers are recessed in rail under teak plugs. I rebedded them 4 years ago 3M5200. They have worked loose at 3 points and I retighten 2 and replaced one bolt a couple of weeks ago. I would like to replace the nine loop, but have not found any. I don't know if this is factory or ? Rod

Would it be possible to post a picture of your internal hand rails? My E-27 doesn't have these but they sound like a great idea...