Reattach new teak handrail on Ericson 25

stduin

Just bought Ericson 25. Prior owner took off port hand rail purchased new teak one, but didn't install. What is best way to reattach new hand rail?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard the forums.

I'd try to do it the way Ericson did. The other rail ought to provide an example. What does your overhead look like? Is there a liner?

Ericson used different fastenings. On some models, the coach roof grab rails were screwed through the house roof into the interior grab rail. Others used nuts and machine screws.

If no E25 owners respond, photos might prompt nonspecific advice.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The OP may want to sit down with a cup of coffee and do a search on 'teak hand rail' and find a lot of info about similar vintage Ericson's.

frick

Member III
My 1971 E29 had nuts glassed into the deck. When they started to rust away, I through drilled the deck and fiberglass headliner, Filled the void with 5 minute epoxy, they the next day drilled them out. I then used washers and acorn nuts on the inside for a good looking finish.

klb67pgh

Member III
Do you have hand rails inside the salon as well, or just on the cabin top? I just have them on my cabin top, and there are stainless machine screws installed in the handrail (with heads covered by teak plugs-or I suppose they could just be studs-I never had them out). The threads go through holes in the cabin top and washers and nuts secure them from inside the salon. Then there are white plastic covers that go over those holes. I used butyl tape on the studs and feet of rail to seal the holes. You could use some kind of goop in the alternative. The E25 doesn't have a headliner - just inside layer of fiberglass and gelcoat. If you have interior handrails, I assume you'd have longer studs in one and secure w nuts through the top of the other rail, and teak plugs for both.

klb67pgh

Member III
I should have added-if you have a 25+, not a 25 as you indicated, you probably have a different set up than the E25. Just FYI.

frick

Member III
Do you have hand rails inside the salon as well, or just on the cabin top? I just have them on my cabin top, and there are stainless machine screws installed in the handrail (with heads covered by teak plugs-or I suppose they could just be studs-I never had them out). The threads go through holes in the cabin top and washers and nuts secure them from inside the salon. Then there are white plastic covers that go over those holes. I used butyl tape on the studs and feet of rail to seal the holes. You could use some kind of goop in the alternative. The E25 doesn't have a headliner - just inside layer of fiberglass and gelcoat. If you have interior handrails, I assume you'd have longer studs in one and secure w nuts through the top of the other rail, and teak plugs for both.
I did not have hand rails inside the cabin. I did plce teak plugs over the bolt heads and finished so there where invisible.