Re powering a Ericson 28T ?

BlueBird

Looking at a Ericson 28T. looks like it may need to be re-powered.
Any thoughts or advise. Looks like a Yanmar has 2 a 15 hp and a 10?
Do I need the 15? I'm thinking of taking it up the coast from Va to Cape Cod next summer.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I think 10 is too small for your boat, so I would go with the larger one, especially if you might encounter waves, current, etc.
Frank

Jenkins

Member II
Looking at a Ericson 28T. looks like it may need to be re-powered.
Any thoughts or advise. Looks like a Yanmar has 2 a 15 hp and a 10?
Do I need the 15? I'm thinking of taking it up the coast from Va to Cape Cod next summer.
What is in it now?

peter

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you are going to repower, I strongly suggest you look at the Betamarine. Probably the 16 or the 20. Focus on overall dimensions and mounting height for the mounts. As Peter asks, it helps to know what is in the boat now.
For pix of the preparation for the engine change, see several of my blog entries here.
If there is room, I would advise the 20, with the higher output alternator, to kind of "future proof" the package.
If you have some pix of the present engine, please post them.

BlueBird

I called Beta Marine they were coming in at Just under 10K ( I don't have my Notes) for what I think was a 16hp.
Yanmar was coming in at about $3600 for a 15 hp on line. That is a big difference, and seams a little unbelievable. Am I missing something?

Jenkins

Member II
I called Beta Marine they were coming in at Just under 10K ( I don't have my Notes) for what I think was a 16hp.
Yanmar was coming in at about $3600 for a 15 hp on line. That is a big difference, and seams a little unbelievable. Am I missing something?
Depends on what is in there now and what is included in the quote. If you are replacing like for like it will be cheaper. If you are not you may need new mounts, coupler, possibly shaft, prop, etc….

I considered a repower from A4 to diesel and was told I would need

new shaft
new prop
new thru hull for cooling intake
new fuel tank
new instrument panel
new mounts

in the end I got a replacement A4 for the grand price of a large bottle of rum. We sprinkle rum on it every spring to appease the engine gods.

even so, I replaced the fuel water separator, all fuel lines, hot exhaust and cleaned the tank.

best,

peter

JPS27

Member III
Bluebird,
I have an old yanmar 2qm15 in my e27. I replaced a beyond-repair a-4 with it almost 10 years ago. Works great. I have also talked to a "beta guy" somewhere in the northeast sometime last year, thinking I want to know what my options are if I have not choice to repower again. (I like to be prepared). I'll look for my notes and email from talking to that guy. He took a ton of time answering questions on a friday evening. If I find them I'll pm you.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might get s short block for that $, perhaps.
My Betamarine came with transmission, new mounts, panel, and harness. i.e. complete ready to bolt in.

p.gazibara

Member III
You could also put a 10kW electric drive in.

I imagine you could do the install under 3K if you are crafty, 10K if you included a sizeable solar array and had someone else install it.

There is something so beautiful about turning up to your boat after you have been gone a while and the fridge is cold and ready to accept the beers.

The part where you don’t have to do any engine maintenance, you just hoist sails and go is my personal favorite.

-p