Re-bedding the steering pedastal

cruis-n

Member II
Re-bedding the steering pedestal

Has anyone had any experience re-bedding the steering pedestal (Yacht Specialities model I think, definately not Edson) on their E35-3? Mine (1984 hull number 193) shows some evidence of water leaking through the cutout.

I was in the locker this weekend looking at what it would take. It seems that I will need to loosen the allen screws on the U shaped hand hold (or whatever it's called), and take loose the four large bolts holding the pedestal to the cockpit floor. From looking at it, it will take a deep socket from below. At that point I know I will need to loosen up the steering cable. I can clearly see one side (the starboard side). Not sure if there is a second tensioning eye-bolt on the port side. There is plenty of slack in the instrument cables and in the throttle and shift cables so no problem there.

The question I have is: Can I loosen just one side of the cable or do I need to loosen both sides (assuming there are two adjustment points)?

The plan as it stands now is to loosen up things enough to raise the pedestal up about 1-2 inches so I can clean and re-bed the pedestal without having to dsconnect everything. Is this reasonable or am I dreaming? :confused:

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
cruis-n;
No you're not dreaming, you can do it the way you're headed. There should be a turn-buckle on each end of the steering cables, and while you have things loose, check the cables for fraying and lube the turning sheaves under the cockpit sole. Note that the cables "cross" each other inside the pedestal if you should end up taking the whole thing apart. I would recomend using a polysulfide calk or 3M 4200 rather than 3M 5200. 5200 works great but you can't get it apart again as it's an ADHESIVE sealant. Polysulfide or 4200 allows you to take things apart sometine in the future. Clean all the surfaces first and you should have a water-tight fit when your done. A trick to poly-sulfide. Let the excess that squzeeses out set for a couple of days before you try to trim it. If it's set it's much less messy to work with!! Good Luck, Bud

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A finishing hint...

Speaking of dealing with the sealant excess that squeezes out...
One trick I learned from a boat yard is to put tape all around the surface to catch the oozed-out sealant. Use 3M blue for this. Do this when you dry-fit the parts for the last time, before final assembly with sealant.
Then, after you tighten the bolts, you can pull up the tape and most of the excess goo as well.
:D

Loren

Last edited: