Raymarine ST4000 wheelpilot "no data"

lschill

Member I
My Autohelm ST4000 wheelpilot puts out incorrect compass headings. It hasn't been used in quite a while and I thought maybe the compass was stuck and might free up after some use but that has not happened. It does change readings but never correct. I have recalibrated but doesn't help. When I engage autopilot I get a message "no data". I am assuming that my fluxgate compass is bad and needs replacing. Any thoughts from anybody about this?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I would start by checking all the connections to the autopilot computer. The wires from the fluxgate compass are tiny and could easily come loose from their connection at the computer. Then I would go through the troubleshooting procedure to check the resistance readings for the different wire combinations of the fluxgate compass. I had a problem with mine and had to send it back to Raymarine to be repaired.

newpbs

Member III
Me Too

I've had the same problem. It comes and goes, but mostly works. I've already checked all of the connections. On the one hand, it is difficult to find a problem when everything is working. On the other hand, I'm glad that it works most of the time.

I'll be watching to see what you learn from others as it may help me as well.

good luck

Paul

lschill

Member I
I have ordered a new compass unit and am hoping I can use the same wiring to hook up. Should be here the end of this week and install this weekend. We will see!

joe-fran

Member II
same problem last year

I checked the voltage reading where the tiny wires connect to the main unit and they were not what RAY had in their specs. Took apart the fluxgate and they were bad there also. Got a used unit, installed it and worked fine.

lschill

Member I
Amazing

Well, I installed the "new" fluxgate I bought from Defender and it did the same thing, so I figured it must be the control head. I sent the control head and fluxgate to Derek at Breakwater Marine in Webster, Tx. and he checked it out and said nothing wrong with the control head, compass bad. My new compass was also bad so I had to order another compass. It arrived and everything worked great. Who would have thought the new compass would be bad also. Took over a month to work all this out, but working great now. Thanks for the interest.