Raymarine ST4000+ wheel pilot

MMLOGAN

Member III
My ST4000+ has been developing a mind of it's own over the last two seasons. It really likes to throw in a hard left at the most inconvenient times.

I have finally decided to see if there a a solution other that replacing with a new version. The control head (brains) appears to be failing. All other links in the chain function correctly.

Raymarine no longer supports this device? Does anyone know of another resource to have this unit overhauled? Any leads will be appreciated.

Cheers,

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I know if I place my cell phone too close to the brain, or I receive a phone call while at the helm, or any other electromagnetic interference - it will send the unit going in different directions. Have you looked into that?

Mark

MMLOGAN

Member III
I think I have tried it all

Mark,

I have either removed or killed all power to everything else near the control head lights, other instruments, cell phones, speakers, wiring etc. I have tried placing a ice bag on the unit for overheating. Different points of sail. Verified belt tension on steering portion. Re-centered the rudder position sensor. Gone through the re-calibration process. Changed the position of the flux gate compass. I have also tried to have it follow a track fed by my GPS. All to no avail.

If I missed something I'm not sure what?

Thank you for the suggestion.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Loose wire?

I had a loose wire on the back of the control head that made our AP wonky a few years back. The crimp in a wire from the fluxgate compass to the head was intermittently "opened" which generated an incorrect heading and crazy steering for just a few moments.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Matt,
Maybe you could upgrade to the EV1. That's what we have. You may not need to replace the whole system.
Rick

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I favor a bad connection as I have great faith in Autohelm electronics. My unit is over 27 years old and working as well as when new.

That said, I did have the fluxgate compass get loose in the control head of my AH4000. It was obvious something was loose when I shook the unit. I'd like to think that the issue wouldn't come up on the forum if something was rattling in the case.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Old Autohelm repair

I have the same autopilot. There is a sailor who has been repairing and refurbishing these units in the recent past. He has helped out with mine and some of my friends' Autohelm units, as well. His name is Dan Gerhardt in Durango, Colorado. His email is C250@mydurango.net. He prices his work very fairly. He probably can help you if you are not ready to get a newer unit.
Mike Jacker

MMLOGAN

Member III
Thank you one and all!

I think I'll check the connections one more time prior to sending it off to the Rockies. Maybe the threat of some cold weather will make it shape up.

Appreciate all of the responses.

Best,

Emerald

One more thought. Take the cover off the flexgate compass and check out the guts. Mine went nuts, and it turns out the plastic gimble had cracked on one side, and the thing was swinging funny. A little super glue and it's been years. Had almost forgotten about it.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Dan is the Man

I reached out to Dan and he sent me a check list of items to test prior to sending the unit off to Durango.

He quoted $150 for the repair plus parts, He guessed parts at $15.

A fantastic resource.

Mike, I truly appreciate the reference.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Dan the Man

I agree. He has been a great resource.
I love this forum for solving all Ericson boat related issues!

MarcusJtown

Member II
I had a problem with my autopilot last year when I had my tool bag sitting on the other side of the bulkhead from the flux gate compass. No electronics, just a big pile of metal really messed things up.

khunter

I had the same issue with mine. I took it apart and found some moisture inside the unit that caused the buttons to activate on there own. I made a diagram of the wiring and then pull the unit off the helm and opened it up. Inside you will find 6 metal disks that correspond with each of the buttons. Each disk is covered and held in place with a disk of transparent tape. I could see the moisture through the tape. I pulled each one off and dried everything with alcohol and then used small squares of clear packing tape to re-install the disks. It worked like a charm and have not had a problem since. This may sound difficult but really it isn't. Once you pull the cover off you will see what I mean. This will likely save you a bit of cash along with the trouble of shipping your unit away.
Happy sailing
K Hunter.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
The new to me boat I have has the parts for an AH ST4000. It mostly works but the head always reads 250 no matter what the heading is. My guess is wiring, operator error or fluxgate problem. Thank you for Dan's email. i wrote him.

Last edited: