Raymarine ST4000+ failure and fix

jjbusch

This weekend my raymarine wheel steer autopilot stopped turning the wheel, and when engaged I could feel the motor working, but no action/movement of the wheel. After viewing several YouTube videos, I was convinced that the belt or gears were stripped.

I opened everything up, and all looked good. EXCEPT, the gear that runs the belt was free spinning. When spun, it also did not engage the planetary gears that connect to the motor.

I pulled the gear unit out and noticed that if I pressed down on the gear, it engaged. I used a screw driver to slowly lift the rod the gear sits on out of the casing and discovered that I had a piece of plastic stuck inside (see photo). I pulled it out, moved some of the existing grease off the sides and onto the gears, reset the gears, then pressed the entire top section back into place. Quick test shows that the gears all engage as designed.

Besides providing a bit of info for others who might have an issue with this drive, I am curious if anyone knows what this piece of plastic is for? It is torn up, so it now is residing in the trash. I can't see how this could be a critical component, but I could always be wrong?

Attachments

• 20230807_200814.jpg
    20230807_200814.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 17