Raymarine/Raytheon ST50 Navdata display

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have the older (black case) ST50 instruments and recently the Navdata display cracked a corner off. While I had it apart I noticed what looks like a battery inside on the back of the board in one corner. Its about the size and shape of a quarter and is encased in blue plastic. The ends are soldered to the circuit board and the blue cover doesn't come off. There is a zero voltage reading across the terminals.

Is it a battery and should it be replaced periodically? The instruments must be 10+ years old.

I also have the Depth, Wind, Speed and Autopilot heads and I wonder if they also have internal batteries?

Thanks for your help.

Guy Stevens

Take a photo

There are enough of us that are train in electronics that we can look at it and probably tell you, send us a photo!

It could be any number of things that look like cell batteries.

Guy
:)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the suggestion, Guy. Here are a couple shots. I don't know if this is a Navadata or Plus Navdata/GPS. I'd have to check the manual on the boat.

Attachments

• ST50-NavDataFront-small.jpg
    ST50-NavDataFront-small.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ST50NavDataInnardsBattery-small.jpg
    ST50NavDataInnardsBattery-small.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 74

Guy Stevens

Pizo speaker element

That is a piezo speaker element. That is not a battery. That is what makes the beep noises. Leave it alone....

:)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thank you, Guy. It's all back together and I'll test it tomorrow.

That's a big ol' piezo speaker. I don't think I've ever seen one that big, not that I have much experience with them. Maybe it has to be heard over the engine or something.