Raw Water Pump

Brian K

Member III
I have the Universal 25XP with an Oberdorfer raw water pump. Does anyone know which direction the impeller turns? Looking at the impeller, does it turn clockwise or counter clockwise?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I also believe it turns clockwise. It you are worried about aligning the vanes in a certain direction don't. they will correct themselves.

Brian K

Member III
Thanks! Yes Tim, I've heard from another source that it really doesn't matter how you install the impeller since it will self correct the first time it turns. I'll install it assuming a clockwise rotation; if I'm wrong, I'll trust in the self correction theory. Next time I take off the impeller cover I'll mark the direction of rotation on the outside of the cover.

Should I use a lubricant on the vanes when I put the new impeller in? If so, what is recommended?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Should I use a lubricant on the vanes when I put the new impeller in? If so, what is recommended?

Since the lube is going to go away once you start 'er up again, I put a tad bit of good ol' Lewmar winch lube on the impeller, since there is a tube of it stored nearby in our boat...

LB

newgringo

Member III
Same rotation as engine

Just went thru this on our M25. Guaranteed same as engine = CW looking aft. See picture. I have also been assured install either way and it will right itself. I just can't live like that.

Attachments

• OberImpeller.jpg
    OberImpeller.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 330

Guy Stevens

KY Jelly

Don't use grease, it attacks the rubber that most of the impellers are made out of. Also the grease does not wash out greese is by nature water resistant... Like Oil and water don't mix! :)

Use what is recommended for the easiest insertion of latex coated objects into tight holes......

What are you blushing about, impellers into their housings of course....

KY Jelly...

Guy
:)
:egrin:

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
So the grease cup on my Universal 5416 16 hp motor needs to be turned a half turn periodically to add grease to the raw water pump/impellor. I have been using a water resistant grease from a chandlery, but am now considering KY jelly--but isn't it too runny? I don't think it would stay in the grease cup for any length of time....and wouldn't it get washed away fairly quickly in the water flow? :confused:
Frank

Maine Sail

Member III
The proper lube

The proper lube and the stuff that ships with every Johsnon Impeller is glycerin. Another good alternative is vegetable oil..

110363060.jpg

Guy Stevens

That is what is in KY Jelly!

Yep same stuff that is in KY Jelly, or you can request it from behind the counter at the local pharmacy as pure glycerin.

Yes it is water soluable, and it does leave, it is only there to lubricate the insertion and the first few turns. After that the water does act as both a coolant and a lubricant on it's own. In our non scientific test the impellers last about twice as long if they are lubed when being put in. Seems most of the damage is the first few rotations. Never run them dry it kills the impellers really quick.

Vegetable oil can leave a gooey mess in my experience. The KY Jelly or Glycerin works wonders.

Another great use for glycerin is to add it to your soap bubble mixture for blowing bubbles. It makes the bubbles a lot bigger and they stay together longer.

( You do blow bubbles off the back of YOUR boat at anchor don't you?)

Guy

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

The grease in the cup is for the bearings

It should be grease, you can use a water proof grease, or super lube works good for that too. KY jelly is not for that use.....

The grease cup is for the bearing surface of the pump shaft, not the impeller.

Guy

Brian K

Member III
Clockwise it is thanks.

I love my Ericson, but using KY will take it to a hightened level of,,,,, pleasure?

Thanks all.

Emerald

Won't increase the pleasure, but will confirm to your other half that the boat might really be a threat to be jealous about after all. :devil: