raw water intake ?

chip50

Member II
thanks for answering the questions about the valves under the sink....someone mentioned that one of the valves could be for the raw water intake.....im new to all of this...why would there be a valve to let water , sea water or other water come into the boat....why would there even be a hole under the boat for that reason....thanks in advance,,,,chip:confused:

Emerald

Hi,

The raw water intake that was refered to is for cooling water for the engine. Other places you'll find a thru-hull for sea water is in the head for flushing, and on some boats designed for extensive off shore cruising, you'll find a sea water intake conected to a spicket in the galley sink to rinse with and conserve fresh water for drinking etc.

Given that you are knew to all this, I'd highly recommend finding someone you trust who really knows boats to give you a thorough walk through of your systems. Generally, when not on the boat, I'd close all thru-hulls except for cockpit drains. Be very careful about leaving a thru-hull open in the head for flushing. It is very common to have the head so close to the water line, heeling or otherwise, that left open, this intake can sink the boat.

Did you have this boat surveyed? If you are new to all this and didn't, and don't know what you are looking at, this would be probably well spent money to make sure you don't have a problem getting ready to bite you.

All in all, you will find the Ericsons to be very nicely built boats, and you should have many years of great service from her.

chip50

Member II
raw water intake

i dont have an inboard engine on our e25,,,,but i do have a head....this boat did sink once on the previous owner....and the valves were replaced but they told me that akid had put a water hose in the boat and turned it on....i didnot see any holes in the bottom at all when the boat was hauled out ,,,,,but how does raw water come in to the head,,,and why....does water fill a holding tank for the toilet and it come from under the boat,,,,this boat does empty to the outside because i followed the discharge hose to the starboard side of the boat....but i never did find a way that it gets water to flush....but there is a pump handle on the side of the toilet...??? this gets confusing for me....chip

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Chip, one of the best investments I made was to buy Nigel Calder's book called Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, which reviews all of the boat systems, how they work, what they do, how to repair, etc. Even if you never do your own repairs, it will familiarize you with what to look for, and how to talk to your boat maintenance person/mechanic. This will answer many of your questions.
Good luck!
Frank

Emerald

There is usually a water supply line that runs into the bottom part of the hand pump assembly on the head. Follow this line, and it should go to a seacock. I don't know the E-25 well enough to tell you were this is exactly, but on my prior E-27 and my current Independence 31, this line went through a hole in the bottom of the vanity cabinet with the thru-hull accessed by the door in the cabinet.

Regarding flooding, probably the biggest issue is that the head is often right at water line height, and if there is a problem with the valve in the pump mechanism, or it is left in the flush position, you can end up having water just flow right in via the flush intake water line. If you look at the hand pump, there is usually a knob or lever to switch from a flushing action to a pump dry. Once you've flushed, you've primed the whole line full of water from the pump out to the seacock. If the valve at the head is left open, or leaks, you can siphon water in via this line if the head is below the water line, or you heel and it suddenly goes below etc. For this reason, I always keep the water intake seacock closed unless I am actually flushing.

There are a variety of ways you can help prevent this beyond keeping the thru-hull closed. The most common is a siphon break/vented loop. I'll let others descibe some of their installations. In fact, try doing a search on this board, and I think you'll find quite a few discussions on different ways to plumb this.

Anyway, get out your flash light, roll up your sleaves, start following hoses, poking in bilges, pull up all the cushions and look in all the stowage areas and get to know your boat inside out. You'll be amazed what you learn, and it will prepare you with knowledge to make your sailing safer.

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Thru Hulls

Chip- Go up in your V-berth and pull the cushions out. Open up the access boards and take a flashlight and look around. Most likely that is where your water in-take for your head is located. Start pulling on some hoses and follow them.
Snap some pictures and post them. Rob Hessenius

chip50

Member II
raw water intake 2

i finally found out what the valves are for in the cabinet....i do have a thru hull for sea water for the head...but the 2 valves are there because the old owner put 2 valves(brass) one on top of the other...he said to make darn sure that if one valve fai;ed the other would work because it would allways be dry and not subjected to sea water.he also said that the thruu hull fitting was probably full of barnicles when i had it hauled out and just missed it.... thanks for all your help friends this is a great site chip:0305_alar :0305_alar