Raising Genoa with halyard

SMLROD

Member II
I recently purchased a used genoa for my E23. After getting the sail I noticed that the reinforced portion of the sail for the spreaders was lower than it should be by about 18 ". Also, that the sail sweeps the deck and has 18" of gap at the top of the jib halyard when the sail is raised.
Does anyone have a simple way to raise the jib other than just tying a line from the tack to the bow.
I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Rod Schraw
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

CSMcKillip

Luff tape or hanks?

Is the sail raising all the way up, seems from your description it 18" short?

If it's not going all the way up the track, luff tape, then I would remove 18" of luff tape to get it to raise all the way up. Sounds like your furler or luff groove is to short and is stopping 18" short from a full hoist.

I am only assuming.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I'm not sure I understand. What's stopping the sail from going up another 18"?

Seems like addressing that would get the foot off the deck and better align the reinforced area with your spreaders. However, if the sail wasn't originally designed for an E23, it wouldn't be too surprising to have some misalignment there. A sailmaker can probably fix a lot of that inexpensively. Or, you can do it yourself -- Don Casey's book "This Old Boat" has extensive sailmaking commentary, and I am living proof that any monkey can learn to run a sewing machine well enough for the result to look pretty good from 20 feet away.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Provided the sail will actually hoist to the top of the headstay, with the tack unattached, without undue tension required, it is a simple matter to add a bit of spectra at the tack to set the sail at whatever height works for you. As long as you can maintain and adjust halyard tension, that is you have a bit of room at the top, tie it off at the tack and go sailing.

RT

SMLROD

Member II
Thanks for the response.
The real problem is I can raise the sail another 18 " but am not sure what to use as a pennant to increase the space from the bow atttachment to the tack on the sail.
The sail is cut for the boat, but I just need to raise it another 18".
Spectra is a low/no stretch line I assume?

joe-fran

Member II
raising a hanked genny higher on the forestay

I had the same issue many years ago on a Cape Dory.

I had the local rigging shop swage together a foot long piece of stranded rigging with a thimble on each end. Then I used a coupleof shackles to secure it to the sail and to the boat. SImple and inexpensive

SMLROD

Member II
Thanks for the imput. This is a great site. Thanks for the information.

Rod Schraw
"Second Wind"
Smith Mountain Lake,VA