rain leaks

taz4

E29 1977
Hello All,

4 stanchions on my E29 are set on wood pads and the pads have rotted and are now leaking. I would like to replace these pads and rebed everything.

Has anyone done this before and do you have any sketches or dimensions for the wood pad size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Do a search (above) for things like 'stanchion' and 'rebed' - you'll find several threads on it. It's really pretty basic work - very common and typical, as the bedding material drys out after a number of years - and the leaking starts - so you have to pull them out, and rebed them...

//sse

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My E29 –T doesn’t have wood pads for the stanchions they are bolted direct to the deck. The sources of leaks on my 29 were the chain-plates for the shrouds and the through bolts for the track for the headsail and the big offender the handrails. The handrail leak actually surfaced at the port frames appearing to be a leak at the ports. The handrails are through bolted if you have the inners. Refer to the 29 owner’s manual and you will see a diagram of how they are mounted. The screws were installed from the inside with the nuts appearing to be self holding in the outer rails.

The handrail, stanchion and shrouds should be re-bedded ASAP they are through cored deck area, the track for the headsail is through glass lay-up and not as likely to cause any problems.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah, when you pull them out, if you need to keep the height where it is, I would replace the wood with some composite material - something that will stand up to UV, but not rot....

//sse