Radar Wanted

chrism

Inactive Member
With all the talk about RADAR, I am interested in putting it onboard.

Does anyone have reccomendations on what to get? I know I want a color system... But I don't know where to look. Am I better off mixing and matching the dome and display on eBay to save money, or should I buy a brand new package? Does anyone know of any used electronics dealers?

Thanks,

Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might, once you feel confident in assessing used models, check out the upcoming swap meets. A friend of mine sold a late 80's Apelco LCD radar complete for $100. He had bought a new fancy one and probably would taken $50. :cool:
It worked just fine.

I have the very same model on our '88 boat and it still works. Technology has improved a lot for resolution since then, but the units are about the same size. You might want to look into the $700. JRC model -- this is much "better" to look at than my early-technology display. If I had the BUC's I would get a color unit for around $2K plus.....
But I figure that any affordable radar beats none at all, in darkness or fog.
:eek:
Sidebar: I doubt that one out of a hundred recreational boaters in our area *ever* turns on their radar when visibility is good... Only commercial vessals use it all the time.

Loren in PDX

chrism

Inactive Member
Re your sidebar... that was my comment in the other radar post...

I'm looking into taking a radar class over the winter. We'll see how that goes.

cawinter

Member III
More info

There were a few good articles in Practical Sailor over the last few months. They tested some of the lower price models and found them quite good. I agree with Loren that having anything in the fog is better than nothing. We had a few interesting trips into NY harbor in the fog...

I have an old Raytheon Pathfinder 1100 (?) on board. Huge thing. If all goes according to plan I might upgrade to one of the new Raymarine C80 units. Integrated everything but I like the chart plotter and RADAR overlay coupled with GPS. They are just too slick. One issue delaying the upgrade is that I will have to replace the radome and cable(!), too.

chrism

Inactive Member
Use the old cable as a leader for the new one as you bring it down the mast... That should save some time.

rssailor

Radar units

Yeah for sure check out ebay for saving money on units. One of my customers bought a raymarine display on ebay and got a good deal. Spend the extra money and go with a Raytheon or Furuno system as there is great dealer support out there and the products are easy to use. Integrated system with GPS/chartplotter/radar is the only way to go. You get more bang for the buck, plus you save space by putting all those functions in one unit. Good luck. Ryan