Racor R225 Fuel Filter Assembly RIP.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Commissioning the boat this year has been been as hard as getting her ready for the first season 5 years ago!

Before winterizing I do oil, oil filter and fuel filter changes. After 7 months of winter storage and while on the stands the old girl engine started first attempt. So a week later she’s in the slip and we go to start her and she won’t fire up. It seems like a fuel issue so I prime the Racor R225 and see the filter fuel is empty of fuel and the priming pump is leaking fuel around plunger. Once I refill the filter and bleed the engine following the steps in the manual she starts up. Left engine running for 30 minutes then she dies again. Recheck the fuel filter and it’s empty again. So yesterday’s project was to replace the old Racor R225 with an R230 (the replacement model) new fuel filter assembly. That solved the problem and the priming pump doesn’t leak diesel when priming.

The admiral is not happy with the boat and engine and sacred to death we’re going to die. I keep telling her it’s a sailboat the engine is just the auxiliary for propulsion. I took the old girl out (the boat) for a sail today and used the auxiliary to get on and off the mooring…..see all good now.

P.s. If anyone wants a new unopened R26P fuel filter and a used aluminum bowl off an R225 filter assembly let me know.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is a real trend here in discovering the Racor 200-series a problem in admitting air into the system. Thirty-plus years of service in a vibrating environment, not a bad lifespan.

A replacement R215r is $150 or so--although the spin-on filters are expensive.

Good first place to look with engine problems if we have the original equipment.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
There is a real trend here in discovering the Racor 200-series a problem in admitting air into the system. Thirty-plus years of service in a vibrating environment, not a bad lifespan.

A replacement R215r is $150 or so--although the spin-on filters are expensive.

Good first place to look with engine problems if we have the original equipment.
Here are the pics of the old R225

Attachments

• 052E3A03-6E46-4B8C-A09B-8937BBBC2F0E.jpeg
    052E3A03-6E46-4B8C-A09B-8937BBBC2F0E.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 8
  • D105FF72-C31B-4828-BAF8-694DEEA0FC67.jpeg
    D105FF72-C31B-4828-BAF8-694DEEA0FC67.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 8