Racor filter for Universal 5416

jengels

Member II
I would like to replace my original primary fuel filter with a Racor filter but can't seem to find out which one I need for the Universal 5416 diesel. Can anyone give me some advice as to which unit I should install? Also some tips on cleaning out my fuel tank would be welcomed as well.

Thanks, John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A well-filtered reply

There is some good (IMHO) filter information for the Universal M25 (and XP) information in this thread.
Pix of our Racor are in one of the replies. Note that the factory built a little (teak scrap) board with both the Facet pump and the Racor on it, probably in batches, and installed the pump/filter assembly on Ericson's as they came down the line.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?3585-Racor-filter-application/page2

Note also that like another poster, we are changing out our Universal engine to a new Betamarine 25. I now have a new Racor 500 installed, and to satisfy the fire-worried nabobs at ABYC it is newly located outside our engine compartment.

LB

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
We have the Universal 5416 16 hp diesel engine on our Ericson 30+. For the past 12 years we have used a Racor R12 primary filter in addition to the normal secondary fuel filter on the engine. The Racor R12 is small, but works perfectly. We have never had a fuel problem, either water or dirt, though I am very careful about where I obtain fuel, always add Biobar to fight algae and some fuel conditioner like Stanadyne or Startron. I try to keep the fuel tank full to minimize condensation, especially in winter.

These Racor filters are not cheap, and the replacement filters inside are also not cheap, but they do work well. I replace the filter inside about every 2 years, or 400 engine hours.

Frank

Last edited:

bolbmw

Member III
I put a Racor 500FG on my 5416. It is incredibly oversized for the job, and I use 2micron filters in it changed annually. The 500FG is a superior design to any spin on filters, because you can change the filter without needing to rebleed.

jengels

Member II
Thanks

Thanks all for your replies. A rep from Racor/Parker got back to me yesterday and recommended an R20 filter. I bought one at a local marine supply that came with a 2 micron element. I think that's a little too fine for my situation so I also bought a 10 micron as a back-up. Today I'm going to try to vacuum the grunge out of the tank. I'll post my results.

John