Questions: Re-Naming and keel support Q&A

Fencer21

Member II
Got a Coupla Questions...

1. Is the keel on an Ericson 27 designed to hold the weight of the boat while it's out of water, and sitting on boats stands.

I'm pulling out my E27 out this summer to conduct hull repair, recondition and apply new bottom paint, my second question is:

Is it considered "bad luck" to change the name of a boat. I've only been the owner of this boat since August of last year, and it has always been my intent to change the name after I've completed the refit, repair and what-have-you the boat needs in order for it to be in tip-top shape again.

I had been reading in some of the sailing mags and have seen it written that it is bad luck to change the name of the boat. This particular E27 has had a total of 4 owners, and 2 of them changed the name when they owned it.

Anyway, just curious on that one.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Questions

You might as well trade it in-your boat is forever jinxed due to the name changes!
But serioulsy folks......
This is an superstition that some old-schoolers follow, but I think what matters most is having a boat with the name that means something to you and you like the sound of.
Who cares what the old superstition says, anyway?
Looked at another way, this old superstition is not taken seriously enough to affect resale values on older boats-so it must not matter much.
Get the point?

I think if you support the boat side to side properly there should be no problem resting on the keel/.

JORGE

Member III
RE: naming

While I was at a large bookstore I noticed a book which explained a method of re- naming. It was a long process, and in which you call to the wind gods (N, S, E, W). And throw stuff overboard, etc...... However, you may need to be "stoned" when performing the ritual, so tie yourself down to the mast.

Gary G

Member II
On launch day this spring we went through a rather elaborate un-naming and re-naming ceremony for our recently acquired E28+. A rather large group of friends (some we made on the spot) who happened to be at the harbor that day attended. A great time was had by all! Plenty of laughs and a great conversation starter. We used the basics of the ceremony described at this link and modified it for our own purposes. Be sure to use good Champaign (not cheap stuff or sparkling wine) - you don't want to take any chances offending Neptune, Aeolus, or your guests!
Have fun!

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Christenings, Superstitions, De Naming & Re Naming.

First, you must DE-name the vessel._ Bless the former name and allow that name to go to the everlasting sea._ A simple thanks for it's former service, a good-bye to the original name and a blessing for it's past service._ Be sure to remove all traces of the original name.

Second, you must establish the new name._ The Ceremony planning is right on target._

As will be revealed below, Poseidon must be asked to bless the boat and all who ride within._ As it is a sailboat, you must not forget Aeolus, the god of winds.

When the christening is underway, RED wine must be poured on the bow and offered to the god Poseidon (Neptune)._ Champagne is a very "new" invention and was not used until the 19th century, so have guests drink it -- don't waste it by pouring it on the boat!_

This would be the ideal time to have a virgin urinate on the bow, although I'm told they are scarce in Southern California._ Perhaps an only slightly experienced woman would oblige.

_Red wine is the wine to spill for it symbolizes the blood of a virgin – they used to sacrifice a virgin and spill her blood on the boat._ The story about urination is too gross, so I'll skip it.

Here is one approach to seeking the blessings.

_I bid hail Aeolus and Poseidon. And seek your benefaction upon this vessel,

May the name she carried before, be gone as the winds of yore,

Having served the former master with honor.

I now, with deep respect, petition you royal beings,

To give this vessel's new hailing and her next voyages, your kindness.

Be it known by one and all! This vessel, from this day, will be hailed as [new name]!

I further offer the following plea to appease the spirits of the seas.

Aeolus, whose mighty hand doth charge the wind,

To this vessel gentle zephyrs send,

And we who sail within will bend

Our heads in tribute, Never end.

With breath from high that maketh heaven's breeze,

To cause we sailors joy, or fear, upon the seas.

We call upon you Aeolus, please grant this ship and its' mortals ease.

O! Poseidon, you spirit god of waters great and small,

On this vessel, by your grace, allow these sons and daughters all,

to pass from port of hailing to their port of call,

And on these sailing subjects make your gentle blessings fall.

You who cause the seas to rage or lie in sweet repose,

Please listen to we mariners here, your servants of the flows.

This ship, the captain, crew and all of those,

Who love the wind and seas - will follow where thee goes

Just for the heck of it, I'd go one step further...sort of a benediction._ That god Trident is a vain fellow and needs all the genuflecting one can muster._ It's also impressive verbiage.

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (he new name), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

Given the windy conditions on the Pacific, it wouldn't hurt to add a bit of extra stroking to Aeolus._ Because the four winds are brothers you must address each by name._ Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

(Facing north, pour wine or champagne in a glass and fling it to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

(Facing west, pour wine or champagne in a glass and fling it to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.

(Facing east, pour wine or champagne in a glass and fling it to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, pour wine or champagne in a glass and fling it to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Here are more things to be aware of:

To say pig on a vessel is bad luck.

Whistling on board a ship is widely considered bad luck.

Things are usually kept right-side up on board a ship, such as buckets and cans, for fear of bad luck.

Friday is widely considered a day of bad luck at sea, however, Saturday is considered a good day to set sail.

Horses appearing in sailors' dreams foretell of high seas.

Cats were often taken aboard ships as mascots.

Ministers and women were often considered bad luck on board a ship.

It is unlucky to start a cruise on Friday. This is the day Christ was crucified on.

Black traveling bags are bad luck for a seaman.

Avoid people with red hair when going to the ship to begin a journey.

Avoid Flat-footed people when beginning a trip.

A silver coin placed under the masthead ensures a successful voyage.

Disaster will follow if you step onto a boat with your Left Foot first.

Pouring wine on the deck will bring good luck on a long voyage.

Throwing stones into the sea will cause great waves and storms.

A stone thrown over a vessel that is putting out to sea ensures she will never return.

Flowers are unlucky onboard a ship.

A naked woman on board will calm the sea (but will not necessarily calm the skipper).

Swallows seen at sea are a good sign.

Sighting a curlew at sea is considered bad luck._ A commorant sighted at sea is bad luck.

Dolphin swimming with the ship are a sign of good luck.

Cutting your hair or nails at sea is bad luck.

Well, that's enough for now._ I wish you both and all who attend the AUSPICIOUS EVENT the best of times and good fortune._

'Tis good to have a fine vessel._ I'm sure that Jeff has made his ready for many fine adventures._ As one of my "Cap'n Carl" quotes suggests....

"I found that the sea gave me a wonderful sense of tranquility. _ My life had a sense of form and dimension, and I new precisely the size of my world. _ From my cockpit my horizon was four miles away and the sea I saw belonged to me. _ The vessel was my responsibility and I knew the height and width of my life."

Fencer21

Member II
Wow,
Excellent! I did not know there was a ceremony for denaming, and renaming of boats. Well, okay, it sounds like I got my work cut-out for me if and when I decide to rename the boat.

BTW I'm planning on hauling out my E27 the 2nd of August with a relaunch scheduled for mid October. This should give me plenty of time to repair the hull, paint, and rename if I feel like it.

I figure with the hot summer sun to help dry out the blisters the repair should go fairly quick. I've never done this sort of thing before so it'll be learn as you go.

Thanks for the advice fellas!!
:)