Question on converting head sail for furler?

carroll

Member II
I am adding a furler to my 1973 Ericson-27 and i need to change out my 165 genoa to a furler compatable sail. The 165 is in pretty good shape , but i don't know whether to have it converted or try to buy a used one from someone in the community or buy a new one . After paying for the furler and stay and the other necessities , money is a concern. please give me your comments and suggestions.

clp

Member III
I recently got a price on doing some work on a roller headsail, about seven hundred bucks. I looked at good used headsails, about seven hundred bucks.

(But I'll never order another sail from those chowder heads in Annapolis again)..

From my perspective, it's an awful lot of work to remove the hanks and boltrope to reinstall a smaller luff line.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am adding a furler to my 1973 Ericson-27 and i need to change out my 165 genoa to a furler compatable sail. The 165 is in pretty good shape , but i don't know whether to have it converted or try to buy a used one from someone in the community or buy a new one . After paying for the furler and stay and the other necessities , money is a concern. please give me your comments and suggestions.

From my memories of the 70's (I know, I know... if I can remember it I probably wasn't there...) Large Overlap Genoa's could be used to max out the sail area under handicap rules and this % overlap allowance was about 163 to 165.

Those monster genoas were promoted to be useful in very light air on darned near all production sailboats.
Production boat builders seeking an advertising edge would always ape the racing boat "look" and were often offered with a 150% genny option. I used to sell some small boats with a "full sail" inventory option of a main, 110% "Lapper", 150% genny, and of course a tri-radial spinnaker package.

As I owned other boats over the years, and sailed a lot for fun as well as entering races, I found that a medium/light 135% was about all the Big Genny I would ever need. And nowadays have even abandoned that large of a genoa for something smaller yet.

Having said that, there are always going to be 5 kt days where a large overlap genny will have you going to windward in awesome fashion. At least until a huge Bayliner wake kills all of your momentum! :rolleyes:

There are many experienced E-27 owners here to weigh in on the best all around size for the headsail for that model. My SWAG is that most would suggest that you source a new dacron sail from a "value" sail maker like Lee Sails, to name just one. Put that sail on a new furler.
The fore triangle on that boat is pretty large, so a 120% to a 135% might be be good compromise. This all depends on the average wind strength in your area, too.

You did not ask (and unasked for advice is the curse of the internet) but if the main on your boat is well used, do consider having it inspected to see if the shape has migrated aft and a thrifty recut is needed. I have done this on our last two boats while budgeting for new mains, and the difference in speed and (lack of) heeling and helm effort was immediately apparent.

Gotta say, if I had known how much we would love both roller furling and ST winches (on our present boat) I would have somehow found the $ to put both on our prior boat!

Fair winds,
Loren

Walter Pearson

Member III
When I installed a furler on my E-27, both a 150 genoa and a 100 working jib were modified. Full Sunbrella UV protection was put on the 150 and none on the 100 - thinking the 100 would not be exposed regularly. I found the 150 could only be used in a very small window. If winds were light, the heavy UV strips would weight it down and sail shape was nonexistent. If the wind was strong, the sail rolled in did not achieve much better shape. I ended up adding some lighter weight UV protection to the 100 and used that as my permanent headsail, because changing back and forth was just not worth the effort. It would depend on your sailing environment and your crew - or lack thereof - but when it came time to get something better, I chose a 125 made for a furler and it worked out good for me. If you want to go that small, let me know - I still have that headsail.

Vagabond39

Member III
Furler

Adding the Furler will reduce the luff of your headsails almost 2 feer. Thus your 165% will be lower percentile.Altho some of the newer furlers are smaller, the head swilvel and the lower one take up that defference.So, it may be bettrer to buy a sail designed for the furler than to basterdize your 165%.Good Luck.Bob

carroll

Member II
Reply to Walter Pearson.

Mr. Pearson
I have only been sailing for 7 years , and try to sail whenever i can get out. I am 72 yrs. old and sail mostly solo . My sailing area is on the Potomac River from the 301 bridge down to the Chesapeake Bay. I generally won't go out if winds are above 25-30knots but have been caught out in higher winds on occasion. I mostly use the165 gn.until the weather-helm is uncomfortable and starts to degrade my speed and then i pull that down and go to a110 i have. The reason i am adding a furler is because my age is catching up to me and i am not as steady as i was out on the bow when the wind is up. I have started to change sails before it gets bad but i so love the excitement of 6-7 knts. I don't have an auto-pilot so the sail changes are also sometimes exciting . I see your reasoning on the weight of the sacrificial pannels and agree . What kind of shape is your 125 in and what are you asking for it? Thank you for your time and advice. I don't have agreat deal of money to spend if i want to sail this season.

Walter Pearson

Member III
I've read all the arguments for and against roller furling, but for us single-handers who don't do a whole lot of racing, I don't think it's much of a decision - whether you can still balance on a BOSU ball on one foot - or not. I sailed on Lake Superior and the changes can be fast and intense, so being able to change things from the cockpit really made the season a lot more fun and I was not as reluctant to go out when the forecast was iffy. About equal in fun generation was installing an autopilot - keep one on your list. I'm not finding my details at the moment on that sail, so will keep looking and contact you personally. If you have a furler chosen, the luff groove should match the sail, etc.

carroll

Member II
Brand of furler

Mr. Pearson,
I purchased a C-290 Profurl furler. The manual states it has a luff line dia. of 5mm (13/64") I appreciat you taking the time to help me.

Walter Pearson

Member III
Furler sizing

Those luff sizing numbers can get a little confusing. I think if you round your fraction to 6/32", it refers to a #6 luff tape which fits in the 5 mm foil. This is what I have on my genoa, so I'm thinking the fit would be OK. I put the sail particulars in a private message to you and have since dug up more data after contacting Quantum. I'll leave things be unless you want more info.

jstaff

Member I
After paying for the furler and stay and the other necessities , money is a concern. please give me your comments and suggestions.

If your current genoa still has some life in it I think I would pay to have the luff tape installed. I did my own conversion following the instructions of Sailrite... Many people wouldn't approve of the job but we were very happy to be finished with hanked on sails.