Question about installing furler.

carroll

Member II
I have a 1973 Ericson-27. I just bought a c-290 Profurl furler. I have a question about what to connect the lower connection to. Normally the forstay is connected to the bow tang (chain plate ), and when i hank on the jib to the forstay i attach the tack of the sail to the bow stem plate ( i guess that is what it is called ) by way of a pin which goes through the two vertical plates on the stem plate and through a gromett at the tack of the sail,. I think this spreads the stress between the bow tang and the stem plate. My question is, the furler is going to go over top of the forstay and attach to the bow tang only. This means that the bow tang will be taking the full load. Will it handle it ? If anyone has a 27 and a profurl installed please give me some advice or if anyone thinks i am being silly about my concerns , please reassure me. I am going to replace the forstay befor i put the furler on as the one that is on there now, i believe , is the original.

Guy Stevens

Rig Loads vs luff loads

The stem head fitting is for the rig loads, ( The part that the jibstay attaches to on your boat), which are substantially more than the loads on the luff of the sail. The stem head fitting is made to take loads that you will be applying to it.

The tack pin plates are not really of a concern once you have a roller furling.

It would however be a good time to asses what shape the 30+ year old stemhead fitting which is a piece of stainless steel. I would want to make sure that it had no crevice corrosion on it.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

carroll

Member II
Inspect stem head fitting

Thanks Guy, What does crevice corrosion look like? How do you replace the tang if it needs it?

sailorman37

Member II
The stem head fitting is for the rig loads, ( The part that the jibstay attaches to on your boat), which are substantially more than the loads on the luff of the sail. The stem head fitting is made to take loads that you will be applying to it.

The tack pin plates are not really of a concern once you have a roller furling.

It would however be a good time to asses what shape the 30+ year old stemhead fitting which is a piece of stainless steel. I would want to make sure that it had no crevice corrosion on it.

Guy
:)

My 1980 Ericson had a number of crevice corrosion problems. Here are a few pictures of the results. Sometimes you can't see it, but look for hairline cracks. S.S. is also susceptible to pitting in oxygen free zones. That can happen with quiet seawater standing in the bilge or not turning over your prop shaft for a long time.

DSC02351.JPGDSC02344.jpgDSC02347.jpgDSC02348.jpgDSC02349.jpg

RogerK

Crevice corrosion caused me to lose my mast!

Double check inside the bend at the stem head fitting. A twenty year old corrosion crack hidden beneath the bend caused me to lose the forestay and the entire rig. The insurance folks totaled the boat.
Apart from that, it was a beautiful day's sail.

Attachments

• 20131105_143354.jpeg
    20131105_143354.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 78