Quadrant Steering repairs on 1985 Ericson 381

Tombee

Member I
The wire rope parted on my quadrant steering and when I removed the chain and broken cable I did not see any rudder stops on or near the quadrant or evidence of any broken stops. I also noticed that the fitting on the wire rope end where it attaches to the chain inside the binnacle rides up into the chain sprocket. This appears to be the only "stop" in the system. Is this the way the system was engineered to work or is something (i.e. rudder stops) missing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the 'Stop'

Our '88 model, probably built by the same crew, has a piece of hardwood timber across above the quadrant. There is a solid rod of aluminum bolted to the quadrant with a rubber (piece of hose) bumper on it. This solidly limits rotation in either direction. AFAIK this was standard on all of the YS steering setups in the 80's.
There was also a cast metal assembly from YS that was part of the steering on a lot of EY boats in the 80's also.

Someone / somewhere must have removed the stop assembly from yours in the past, is my guess.

There will probably be other owners checking in, and hopefully some will even have pix to share.

For a lot of reasons the travel *has* to be limited, including the outcome you encountered. I hope that getting back to port with the emergency steering hardware was not too traumatic. :0

Regards,
Loren

ps: when you bought your boat, was this disclosed in the survey? It certainly should have been.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's Loren's wood stop.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ialties-pedestal&p=19357&viewfull=1#post19357

A single post on the quadrant is all required.

It hits something on either side to restrict rudder movement to something like 40 degrees.

Without a basic quadrant stop of some kind, however crude, damage is likely.

Reverse is the danger: going backwards at only a few knots, if the wheel is let go the rudder slams hard into the hull.

On the 32-3, a metal flange on each side is installed for the post to hit.

E32- rudder stops.jpg

Last edited:

Tombee

Member I
Missing stop progress...

Hey thanks Loren and Christian. After another close inspection around the quadrant I did find evidence of a broken cast metal stop so there was one there at one time. I got all necessary repair parts together today, including those for a "new" stop, and will get back to work tomorrow in that cozy workspace.

Losing steering did make for quite an eventful sail but we managed to stop the boat, set the hook and take a few deep breaths before engaging the e-tiller. Lots of commercial traffic where we were sailing and luckily we were out of the main channel.

Thanks again for for the advice, very helpful!

Ericson steering problem-broken wire pulley bracket

I am trying to find a wire-rope pulley mount for my 1986 E38 in Hawaii. Pics attached. I have searched the web for the past 4 hours with no luck. I just need the mount for the 4" sheave (two 5/16" holes about 3 " o.c.; tear-drop shaped base; 1/2" sheave pin holes); I think the original was made by YS.
Also: I'd like to hear from anyone who has successfully had one of these mounts fixed by welding/beefing up the back of the mount.
This mount was broken by a crew-member over-steering (past the stops) in a heavy wind off Diamond Head. I think that the cracks/breaks happened because there was no washer installed on the mount-side of the two bolts, (just had the lock-nuts..so I assume that sometime since 1986 some less-than-professional person re-installed the mount). Any help (by 8-1-18) will be greatly appreciated. Mike G. in Honolulu:esad:

Attachments

• Side view of broken mount for 4inch wire pully for steering on 1986 Ericson 38.JPG
    Side view of broken mount for 4inch wire pully for steering on 1986 Ericson 38.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Top down view of broken mount for 4inch wire pully for steering on 1986 Ericson 38.jpg
    Top down view of broken mount for 4inch wire pully for steering on 1986 Ericson 38.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 19

Tombee

Member I
That piece looks fully depreciated to me. If you have access to a metal fabricator that might be your best solution.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Take it to a welding shop. They will either repair or make a new one for you.

Should not be a big deal

Tell us the state of your quadrant stop(s). See preceding posts.

Quadrant stops protect the steering assemblies form damage.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
YS Idler Pulley Assembly

Perhaps, would this help.PICT0147 (640x480).jpg Pulleys and pins included.

Last edited:
Quadrant stops on E-38

Take it to a welding shop. They will either repair or make a new one for you.

Should not be a big deal

Tell us the state of your quadrant stop(s). See preceding posts.

Quadrant stops protect the steering assemblies form damage.

My quadrant stops are in good shape. They stop the turn of the quadrant/rudder, but they do not stop the movement of the chain on the wheel-sprocket; that's where you get over-strain on the wire-chain, and cause damage like the two I mentioned. If nothing breaks you will still stretch the cable (the side that got strained) and probably need to either replace it or at least adjust it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I understand this has happened twice recently to this boat. I would examine the quadrant setup. I believe something is amiss.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Complete YS Assembly

dcap, I'll sell you my complete YS Idler Pulley Assembly for $250.00 plus shipping. It makes no economic sense for someone with one of these to strip one part off and sell it. That would destroy the value of the unit.

Quadrant pulley mount

dcap, I'll sell you my complete YS Idler Pulley Assembly for $250.00 plus shipping. It makes no economic sense for someone with one of these to strip one part off and sell it. That would destroy the value of the unit.
Thanks Al, but I would not have any use for the other parts and I have a quote from a local shop to make a mount for $200. Hopefully you can sell the whole steering set-up close to home. :nerd: