PSS shaft seal vent line - Hy Vent float style valve/vent

frosero7744

Member II
Hey guys. i got to spend some quality time with my Yanmar replacing the mixing elbow with some quality help. One thing that was noticed were some rust spots on the engine. Yanmars have an oil line in back that can get brittle if it gets rusty so thats my concern besides the surface rust. It appears the PSS Shaft vent line run above the engine and it appears occasionally sends a bit of water spitting out. Its the grey line about 11oclock with a brass fitting which has greened up a bit. My help told me i should move to the starboard lazerette so any water spits out there instead. I called PSS and talked to their quite helpful staff who recommended leaving in the engine compartment since it the closest to centerline, but also add an accessory they have called Hy-vent. This device says it blocks water but allows air to move about.

Has anyone tried this? thoughts about keeping the vent line in the engine compartment? My plan is to cut back the vent line a few inches to allow for the Hy-vent device to go in the top left side looking at the engine. Thoughts or comments while i wait for another boat day?

DSC04926.JPG

Hy Vent
https://store.pyiinc.com/products/hy-vent

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Our vent exits in the starboard lazerette. The end of the tube is higher there than it could go in the engine bay by at least 18". It seems to me that the extra height would compensate for being off center. I think the goal is to keep that opening above waterline when heeling. These are not highly informed musings and perhaps worth less than you're paying for them.
Jeff

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I routed mine well above the waterline in the lazarette and then back down a couple inches. I mounted a bike water bottle holder with the intention of running the hose into a bike bottle. But it never burped any water so I have never felt the need for the bottle.

86553DFC-05B2-4C0A-A9E1-34E555FE172D.jpeg

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Since the "sailing" version of the PSS lasted at least 25 years without a vent line, I think this shows the vent isn't really necessary on a sailboat.

I'm guessing PYI's decision wasn't specifically to "add" a vent, but rather to save costs by halting manufacturing of a second, non-vented product.

But the vent just adds three more possible ways to sink your boat; an intact hose coming loose and falling below the WTL, a leak in the hose, or dissimilar metals corrosion causing leakage between the PSS body and the vent's hose barb (my yard warned me about this one).

Seems like another viable option for dealing with the vent (during a haulout) is to remove the vent and insert a threaded plug. But then, don't forget to burp the PSS after launching.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Not all companies are as bad as Rigrite. Pyi is one of the good ones in my experience. There's been documented cases of PSS shaft seals running dry and being damaged from air locks. Rod collins talked about it on his site. A vent ensures this doesn't happen. There's always the debate on whether the risk of the seal running dry because of an airlock is worth the risk of the vent line failng, but I don't think it's just a manufacturing cost saving decision.