PSC Bankruptcy - The Auction

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
:esad:It's SAD that a boat builder w/ a vision(to build "quality" boats) can't survive in a world of CHEAP clones and "wanabe's". It's kind of a "CATCH-22" that you price yourself "out" of the market if you build any "quality" product. There is some vague RULE of economics that "boatbuilders" never grasp!

I don't think it's quite that grim. It's not that all the quality builders are being stripped out of the market from the top. It's just that since 1980, the market has been continually tightening, at all levels. There are still a handful of high-end, and very high-end builders successfully building very nice boats. There's certainly been consolidation of some of those (like Tartan), but they're still building very nice boats. And top-end builders like Morris are making boats that rival any ever made, from what I can tell.

We'll likely never get back to that plastic hey-day of the 1970s, with such an abundance and variety of builders, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some real quality boats being built these days.

sleather

Sustaining Member
We'll likely never get back to that plastic hey-day of the 1970s, with such an abundance and variety of builders, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some real quality boats being built these days.

It's just that Ericson did build boats that where "exceptionally" well built @ a "reasonable" cost. I remember standing on the deck of a E23 in a dealer showroom in '79, when I was just getting my career together, thinking "I can afford this". I ended up w/ a used one 6 years later.

Quality still exists, no argument, but not @ the same "relative" value to the "average" consumer. IMHO

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Report from the auction...

:esad:

A very sad day; a report from the field:

Hi Sean,

A very sad day for PS. Everything that was not bolted down was on the blocks. It appears that everything Ericson was sold off several years ago...not even a logo to be seen anywhere. The very lonely E38 molds were sitting in the corner of the yard and were not included in the auction???

The real unfortunate part of the story were the folks there looking at "their" boat in various stages of completion... caught up in the bankruptcy with no recourse and with huge deposits already paid. One nice couple had sold their home to finance their new C34 with plans for bluewater cruising to the South Pacific. They had been to the factory several times during construction. All of their dreams hit the skids. To make matters worse, their boat was about two months from splash and they had already taken delivery of all of theit new sails, ground tackle and other misc. cruising stuff specifically sized for the 34. They have an offer on an older 34 and are still gunna cruise!

Had the pleasure to visit with Bill Crealock...loveley man...quite sad to see the end but hopeful that an angel would pick up the line and keep it going.

It was reported Henry Morschladt did a walk through yesterday to pay his condolances.

A few pic's attached

Blake Whitney

Attachments

• P9190014.JPG
    P9190014.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 76
  • P9190021.JPG
    P9190021.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 65
  • P9190025.JPG
    P9190025.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P9190030.JPG
    P9190030.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 62
  • P9190034.JPG
    P9190034.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 84

noproblemo2

Member III
:esad: This is all so sad once again. it's hard to believe there will ever be another boat with the qualities of an Ericson.:esad: My heart goes out to that wonderful couple still keeping their dreams alive though.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Sean,

Thanks much for that "report from the field." Is there any word on the outcome of the auctions? Was there anyone there to walk up to the auctioneer & offer him $49.99 (or just $0.02) for the E-38 molds? Was that report from another Ericson owner, or just an interested party?

:esad:

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Keith,

You are in my area and you may know Ross Hubbard, Surveyor. He was trying to put together a deal to get the Dana 24 molds but that fell through. He recently surveyed my 30+ and told me that PSC was going to make sure those Ericson molds never got sold and were going to be cut up. I don't know why, and it does not make any sense to me. He was telling me that the Ericson had the Classic Plastic look until you went down in the cabin and observed all the teak. This is what made them expensive for their time.

I heard someone mention that Ericson was priced reasonably when new, that statement is not correct, they were priced high and their brochure even states it. Whatever their price those boats sure look nice if they have been kept up.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
E38 Mold

Sean,

Thanks much for that "report from the field." Is there any word on the outcome of the auctions? Was there anyone there to walk up to the auctioneer & offer him $49.99 (or just $0.02) for the E-38 molds? Was that report from another Ericson owner, or just an interested party?

Another owner - Blake Whitney. From what he said, it seems to go along with with Don is saying - that they had no intention of releasing the E38 mold (that's the gray one pictured above, in case you missed it)...

Very sad indeed.

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
E38 Mold

Further on this...

I've been advised that the E38 mold is actually held by one of the former owners of PSC - not PSC itself - hence it's not being on the auction block yesterday.

If anyone is interested in purchasing it, I have access to contact to the owner - however I would STRONGLY suggest talking to your wife first before parking this thing in your yard!

:p

Seriously, if someone is interested, let me know and I'll pass it along.

//sse