Proving Location of Vessel Manufacture

kenLof

I am in the process of Purchasing a 1980 E-38 from British Columbia and will be bringing it over to Washington State. The customs agent will be looking for a sticker on the hull that states where the vessel was manufactured. Anyone know where this sticker is. I don't have access to the boat until it is delivered to me here at the customs dock. Ken- (Spirit moon)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Unique vessel ID

What you seek is most likely the vessel's Hull Identification Number, or HIN.
It was (when new) cast into the upper part of the transom and also on a less-public place inside, like on the molding for the bed log or on some other gel coated surface that is normally out of sight. Ours is on the rear part of the aft cabin berth top, for instance.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
^^^ what he said.

The first three letters of the HIN are the Manufacturer's Identification Code (MIC). In the case of an Ericson, those three letters will be ERY.

They document that the boat was built by Ericson, a USCG-registered manufacturer, in California.

http://uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification-detail.php?id=3200

The title documents may also show the country of manufacture, but the HIN molded into the transom should be all they need.

Bruce

Edited to add: and, welcome!!!

Last edited:

kenLof

Thanks for that info but I am told that the VIN number does not necessarily give the country of origin. The customs people don't want to do the research but want to find a sticker or nameplate attached to the hull. I don't have the luxury of going through the vessel until I take possession So I am hoping another Ericson owner will know where that is.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for that info but I am told that the VIN number does not necessarily give the country of origin. The customs people don't want to do the research but want to find a sticker or nameplate attached to the hull. I don't have the luxury of going through the vessel until I take possession So I am hoping another Ericson owner will know where that is.

I must be missing something here, or you spoke with a Customs person who is missing some training. That person can click on the same web site as you and I, referenced above.
:confused:

Note that the term "VIN' is not used for boats, because boats are not "vehicles".
It is a HIN. Note that the HIN is molded into the hull of an Ericson. (There are a very few larger custom boats with a little HIN plate riveted to their hull, but these are rare. )
Matter of fact, the surveyors that i Know always attach a rubbing of the HIN to their reports, to avoid any question about the identity of the hull.

Odder still, is that Port Angeles is where I once imported a boat to the US, that was constructed in Canada, by Hinterhoeller Yachts. This was decades ago, and I did have to pay Duty on it, as a % of the purchase price on my bill of sale from a broker in BC. (No duty payment for you in these modern times. ) Different generation, but the Customs guy that came down to the town dock and looked at our boat was polite and knowledgeable. I showed him my bill of sale, and current purchase survey.
My $900. check was processed rapidly too! :)

Keep us posted, and you might want to check with someone else in Customs. When you find a person denying basic facts like the meaning of the HIN, there might be a larger problem with that office.

Last edited:

kenLof

It was the customs agent in Port Angeles That insisted that There be is a sticker stating the place of Manufacture. It might not be as important now as I am now hiring a customs agent and the boat will now be brought into Friday Harbor Where they go through this procedure more often. Thanks for the help.