Props for the Campbell sailer prop

Mikebat

Member III
Launched Valinor this morning after two coats of bottom paint at the boatyard, and a new 3-blade Campbell sailer propeller to replace the original 2-blade washing-machine-agitator. The difference was immediately noticeable as soon as I pulled away from the dock and throttled up. Gone is the chug-chug-chug of the two blades thrashing through the keel wake at the same time each revolution. The engine runs smoother, vibration overall is half what it was before, and I get 6 knots in the calm water of the channel before the engine goes to 2000 rpm.

This weekend I should get a chance to see how the lower drag affects sailing, when we meet up for our So. Cal. Ericson photo shoot.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Campbell. I was trying to make a decision between folder, featherer and Campbell right before launching. IIRC, didn't the Campbell still produce more drag than a standard 2 blade sailboat prop? Can't remember where I saw the Practical Sailor data on this.... Either way, looking to hear about it. The price is certainly right on the Campbell. RT