Proper whisker pole technique

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
What are proper steps in setting and then striking the whisker pole?

Today I was surrounded by five boats sailing wing-and-wing so, not wanting to let the "pros" show me up, I used my whisker pole for the first time. I managed to get it set and subsequently struck but am not sure if I did it according to Hoyle, so to speak, so I would like to know the correct step by step procedure.

One thing in particular that I was wondering about are the genoa blocks. Usually my jib sheets run through the blocks on the inner track, so I left them that way when I set the pole. This caused the line to lay across the lifeline. It wasn't a big problem for the time that it was in use, but I'm thinking that I should have led the line to the block on the outer track.

Any advice appreciated!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Mark,

Although I have used the whisker pole, I'll let the real experts answer your question about the right technique.

However, in your post you mention that you usually use the inner jib/headstay track. I also have an E30+ (1984 vintage) and have experimented quite alot with the inner and outer track. The inner track has the advantage that it lets me point higher, but I consistently lose a bit of speed as compared with when I use the outer track. Therefore, with some reluctance (due to minor loss in pointing), I now almost always use the outer track. I have been puzzled, as I intuitively would have expected to use the inner track when going upwind close-hauled, and the outer track on a beam reach or broad reach, but my experience with this boat has consistently favoured the outer track. I have a furling 125% headsail--it might be different with a different sail.

I am wondering if you have also experimented with both inside and outside track, or why you more regularly use the inside track (and what size headsail you use to make this the right decision for you).

If you don't get another reply on whisker pole technique, I'll chime in again with what I do--it works, but others may have a technique "according to Hoyle", whereas mine is just what I've learned to do.

Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The boat was set up with the sheets led to the inner track blocks when I got it and I have just always left them that way. I'm not exactly sure what size my jib is but suspect that it is probably no more than 125% as it does not overlap the mast much at all. I also believe that this is not the correct headsail for this boat because the luff is a little short.

I really should experiment more with the inner and outer tracks...

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I looked at the Forespar video and remembered seeing it once before.

One big question: the topping lift. This is the reason I refrained from trying the whisker pole in the first place; there is no topping lift for it rigged on my mast. But I noticed when I was checking out those other boats with my binoculars that none of them seemed to have a topping lift attached to their whisker poles. So I decided, well, maybe I don't really need one.

Does the whisker pole really require a topping lift? What are the pros and cons?

I know that a spinnaker pole will have both a topping lift and a downhaul.

BTW, I did try sailing yesterday with the jib sheets on the outside tracks. I was on a close reach and I did notice an increase in speed. :) I also noticed the inability to point as high as well. :rolleyes:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Do you have spare halyards on the mast? My boat was setup with a topping lift but I pulled the line out. Since I already have port and stbd. wing halyards I just use them as a topping lift for the whisker when I need it. If I'm using a whisker I'm not flying the asymmetric at the same time..... Moving the sheet/geona block to the toerail has two advantages: Lets the sheet run fair without laying on the lifelines. Moving the block forward a bit on the toerail controls the whisker well enough to not need a foreguy/downhaul/whatchamacallit line from the bottom of the whisker. Works for me. RT

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
No, don't have any spare halyards. There is an extra exit plate in the side of the mast for what I assumed would be a spinnaker halyard, but no halyard.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Does the whisker pole really require a topping lift? What are the pros and cons?

I have used the whisker pole without the topping lift, so no, it is not absolutely required. Remember that while you are setting the pole, there is nothing between it and Davey Jones Locker. You are trying to balance yourself on the foredeck as you extend the pole with it in your two hands.....there is none of that, "one hand for myself & one hand for the boat," stuff. It can be a bit challenging. So, without the topping lift, at least put a line on it to act as a tether should it go over the side.

Starduff

Member II
Deploying the Whisker Pole

In the races I have participated, I have yet to see anyone use a topping lift. We (anyone I have raced with arround the cans) usually do it this way:
One mate (#1) goes forward with the Whisker Pole.
One mate (#2)handles the leward jib sheet in the cockpit, feeding or reigning in the sheet as neede to keep it under control.
#1 connects the jaws (of the fat end) upside down to the bowline knot on the leward sheet. The weight of the fat end (technical term) helps weigh fown the clew. The jaws are upside down to alow fro quick release when needed.
#1 then telescopes the whisker pole out, whlie #2 feeds out the jib sheet.
Once out at proper length, #1 attatches the jaws of the skinney end (another technical term) to the Ring (forgot the correct term, sorry) and returns to the cockpit.

Anyway that is how I was taught and see others I know do it. Probably taught by the same person. You know, women often say they cook a certain way because that is how their mother taught them. :)

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
(snip)
#1 connects the jaws (of the fat end) upside down to the bowline knot on the leward sheet. The weight of the fat end (technical term) helps weigh fown the clew. The jaws are upside down to alow fro quick release when needed.

Anyway that is how I was taught and see others I know do it. Probably taught by the same person. You know, women often say they cook a certain way because that is how their mother taught them. :)

Starduff,

I agree with your technique except for one thing I see that needs clarification. Put the jaw of the fat end onto the sheet just behind the bowline knot at the clew of the sail, not into the loop of the knot. That way you can furl the sail in a hurry, without having to remove the pole first. The sheet will slide through the jaw of the pole as the sail is furled and the pole can stay where it is during the process. This is particularly good if you are short handed, as we usually are.

P.S. I didn't learn that at my mother's knee in the kitchen, but I wish she had taught me this stuff!:egrin:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thanks for the additional info; I was not aware that the small end of the pole was the inboard end.

Starduff

Member II
Whisker Pole Technique

Keith,

How do you keep the pole from sliding on the sheet when adjusting for conditions?
Are you using a topping lift and/or down haul?

Richard

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Richard,

I usually (but not always) use only a topping lift. As I said before, it is because I don't want to risk dropping the thing overboard. The tension is taken in tight on the sheet and with the pole extended it doesn't seem to slide up the sheet, so I don't think you need be concerned. If it does slide up a bit when setting it, you can just push it forward from a position on the side deck and it should be fine.

Also, now that I re-read the post, I see we made an error, you and I both. The fat end of the pole is the inboard (attach to mast) end. This has to be the case because the line you use to extend the pole is at the fat end. You clip the small end of the pole to the sheet. Then you can extend it to adjust the length.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Your question is actually one of the reasons I started this thread; I didn't have a topping lift and always figured I needed one. When I saw the other boats around me apparently not using topping lifts I went ahead and tried it and it seemed to work; the end of the pole stayed right at the knot in the jib clew and did not slide down the sheet as I expected it to. The next opportunity I get I will try the large end of the pole attached to the sheet and hopefully it will function the same.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I guess I won't try the large end outboard...although my pole twist locks rather than having a line the extends it...

Starduff

Member II
Whisker Pole Technique

When racing, I extend the whisker pole by hand. I attach the fat end to the bowline knot jaws end up. This provides some downward weight on the genny and allows for quick release. We never have had to go on deck to make any adjustments, other than when it is time to take the pole down. the pole and genny are controlledwith the jib sheet from the cockpit. It works well for us.