Propeller For 35-3

lbertran

Member III
Hello All-
I'll soon be hauling out my boat for a transmission job and need to also deal with the propeller. I have a 2 blade fixed and I believe it's incorrectly pitched. We did the Wide Open Throttle test in flat water and got well over the recommended maximum of 3000 rpm on our Universal M25-XPB. Does anyone know what the proper pitch is? Also, does anyone have good or bad experience to share with the Campbell Sailer three blade prop? Thanks as always!

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Max Prop pitch

Hi Laura,
I have an '87 E35III with a 2 blade MaxProp. It was installed when I bought the boat otherwise the cost would have discouraged me from getting one. The prop was mispitched at purchase and the PO thought an overheating problem at over 1900 rpm was a heat exchanger issue. We blew a bit of black smoke at 1800 and got 6.2 knots. I repitched the prop last spring to 9.2 inches (18 degrees by the PYI guide) and now we get 2950 at WOT and 6.3 kts at 2200. No more smoke. The fixed two blade which was replaced by the Maxprop was 15X11 however there is no going back from a Maxprop because of the shaft surgery.

Steve Murray
E35III 222
Charlottetown PEI

Mikebat

Member III
I just installed a Campbell Sailer on my 32-200. I haven't taken her out since then, but coming back from the yard to the marina, the difference was immediately noticeable. Smoother ride, lower RPM. I was making 5.5 knots in calm water at about 1800 rpm. I also have the M-25XP engine.

The Campbell Sailer guys will size your prop via email, if you can get them measurements of the clearances, and tell them the type of engine and tranny you have.

Last edited:

Pasja Sails

I installed the campbell sailing prop on our 1987 E34 several years ago and I have been impressed with it's ability in all kinds of weather on Lake Erie. I would not hesitate to recommend it. Also there has been no noticable difference in sailing performance.

Shadowfax

Member III
I also ran a Campbell 3 blade sailing prop on my '88 34 for a number of years. Big difference over the 2 blade fixed, as noted in the other posts; smoother, a bit more power in heavy seas, better backing and I'd guess about a 1/2 a knot or so under sail. The prop was speced by Campbell

I went for a 3 blade feathering prop this spring with even greater additional performance. the Campbell is kicking around here somewhere. If I can find it I'll let you know the pitch and size.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Laura:

Have read many of your posts with interest.....seems you really do your homework, and the answers to your queries have given me much information in getting to the bottom of things that are definitly not right with my boat.

Hope I can impart some info to you.....

I have used a 2 blade Martek foling prop on my last four boats, including the one I put on my 87 E35-3.

My engine is the M25, not the XP version......

Over the years I have had the pleasure of speaking with Walt Beck, the founder of Martek, and after his demise I dealt with his son Gary.....they have all of the info on all of the boats, engines, and other pertainent matters concerning the sizing of the propeller, and are a pleasure to deal with.

I have a two bladed Martek that I put on last year......the performance is excellent, both under power and under sail.....forward and reverse.....I am sure that a three bladed prop would do better in reverse, although the paddle wheel effect I have been advised would be greater......

I mention all of the above, but the true case in point is the very VAST difference in cost.....I have many friends that switeched from Martek or other two bladed folders, but have not felt that the small amount of difference was anywhere worth the difference in cost.....

Good Luck......FWIW

lbertran

Member III
Martec Prop

Hi, Mort-
I had a two blade folding Martec on my boat when I bought it and have not had as good an experience with it as you have. Not sure why, maybe it's simply too old and worn out. But I had to remove it only one season after a factory refurbish because it was causing a serious vibration problem. And annual rebuilds are out of the question. I plan on selling it on Craigs List.
My current prop is a two blade fixed and I really didn't notice very much difference in sailing performance between it and the Martec. But I sure did notice a difference in greater maneuvering control with the fixed prop.
I want to really eliminate prop vibration and a three blade seems to be the solution to that. Right now, a feathering three blade is not in the budget. I'm told that the Campbell is very efficient in eliminating the usual drag of a three blade prop and the price is right. I've decided to give it a try. I'll report back on my findings as soon as the boat is once again operational. Hopefully in another week. Thanks for the post.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sorry for the interuption but Mort, was your boat repowered with an older engine? My '85 35-3 has the M25XP. I believe Universal started making these in '84.

Laura, I am very happy with my Flex o Fold 2 blade. Faster sailing, better motoring in forward and reverse. The older ungeared props That I have seen are junk. They would not open when you needed them and caused lots of vibration.

SASSY

Member II
Props

Your boat calls for a 3 blade 16" 10 pitch.
Or a 2 blade 16" 11 pitch.
I just replaced mine on an 87 E-34. A 3 blade gives you better performance in reverse, and better manuverability. The amopunt of speed you may loose under sail is just a guess but you may loose 1/2 to 1 knot, I don't know for sure.
Andy

Steve

Member III
FYi... (treilley) engine type

How much if any does engine type make a difference on prop size when the HP is about the same? Our 1984 35-3 has the 5424 or the M30. This year or next seems to be the change from this engine to the M25 series. Other then weight, the output seems rather close and the transmission the same. Either way we run the OEM two blade at 6.3 at 2,000, can push it up to 7, but why?

Steve
e35-3 #159

Steve

Member III
My OEM prop

I know it's old (old fashion?), well.. so is the boat for that matter, but like the boat it still works very well. She kicks well to the port backing, but that's Ok since it can be compensated for and used to our advantage.

Steve
e35-3 #159

Attachments

• DSCF7369.jpg
    DSCF7369.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 286

SASSY

Member II
Props

To answer your question prop sizing is directly affected by: Max engine horsepower (XP is 25hp), max engine RPM (XP 3000-3200), gear reduction (my boat is a 2 to1), distance from the centre of the prop to the hull, and max hull speed. A three blade will reduce prop walk greatly, and it's negative effect on speed under sail depends on the your boats hull configeration (Dead wood) witch is the shadow behind the keel. I single hand my 34 often and find that manuverability in close quarters is an asset. I have no prop walk. A good trade off for half a knot.
Andy