Prop E-38

Ericsean

Member III
I just purchased an E-38 with a folding Martec Prop. This boat had been repowered with a Perkins 4-108, and hurth transmission. Could not read the ID on the tranny.

Does anyone know what tranny is typically bolted on in this situation and the appropriate gear reduction and direction (RH / LH).

Currently there is a 16" 10 pitch Martec prop, I forgot to check the direction, & the boat is 120 miles away. It seem a little small for the situation to me. Martec recommended the same prop for my E 30-1, with a Yanmar 2gmf

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Captron

Member III
Pitch

I just purchased an E-38 with a folding Martec Prop. This boat had been repowered with a Perkins 4-108, and hurth transmission. Could not read the ID on the tranny.

Does anyone know what tranny is typically bolted on in this situation and the appropriate gear reduction and direction (RH / LH).

Currently there is a 16" 10 pitch Martec prop, I forgot to check the direction, & the boat is 120 miles away. It seem a little small for the situation to me. Martec recommended the same prop for my E 30-1, with a Yanmar 2gmf

Any help greatly appreciated.

My E381 has the original Universal 5432 (32hp) engine and the prop that was on the boat was a 16" diameter X 11" pitch and that was too much prop. The engine would rev to 2800 rpm in neutral but would only get about 1800 rpm in forward.

Currently I have a J-prop feathering 3 blade that has adjustable pitch. It is 16" diameter, I have it set to 10" pitch and I can get about 2200 rpm at full blast. I'm thinking about cutting back to a 9 inch pitch to see if it makes any difference ... I'm guessing about another 200-400 rpm maybe.

Transmission is a Hurth 100 and the ratio is about 2:1 but that could be 1.8 or 1.9 for all I know. I'm currently in the process of having the yard replace the transmission though so I'm not sure what the new on will be. Oh yeah, it's RH (clockwise when facing the front of the engine)

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Same engine as Ron on my 38. I use a 2 blade feathering max prop. It is set at 16 X 10.5. I get 2700 at full throttle which is where Universal says WOT should be. I cruise at 7.2 at 2200 with a clean bottom and prop.