Problem with headliner zippers/e38-200

FrankJ

Member I
Hi,

I've attempted to open a headliner zipper to access a cockpit winch and found that the zipper is stuck. It appears to have a white powder on the teeth. Does anyone know of a lubricant or spray that would loosen the zipper. It seems that I have a few HD zippers that have the same problem.I was thinking of using WD-40? I'd appreciate some impute.:confused:

Thanks
Frank.

SurabyaKid

Member III
I had this same problem on my E26.

I used a rust breaking oil sprayed directly into the zipper. I used a rag to keep it off of the headliner. I let this sit for about 10 minutes and then sprayed with a silicon lube on the zipper and tracks. Again using a rag to keep off the headliner. Then I gently started pulling back & forth until I got movement and then lubed as I opened it up.

I have made opening the zippers and lubing part of my quarterly maintenance and have had no problems since.

If you break it, there are other threads which describe how to buy & install replacement zippers.

Good Luck,

Pat
E26> "Pronto"

SurabyaKid

Member III
Frank,

Sorry I don't remember...just a spray penetrating oil that I keep on the boat for breaking stuff loose. It has one of those little tube type attachments so you can direct the spray pretty carefully.

Pat
E26-> "Pronto"

CaptDan

Member III
FYI, one of my family claims to fame is that my great grandfather invented the zipper. You can get some information about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitcomb_L._Judson

Wow, Glyn - what an interesting thing to know.

My grandparents were tailors, running a small shop in Denver that I'd often visit when I was young. I remember a time when my grandma was sewing a new zipper on a pair of trousers, remarking to herself what a great invention the fastener was and wondering rhetorically who might've invented it.

For what it's worth, she'd scold her grand kids for not securing zippers on their pants before they were tossed in the washer. To this day I follow that heed :)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

P Abele

Member II
I use McLube silicon spray and it seems to work very well - and I suspect leaves a longer lasting lubricating coating than WD-40.
As for new zipper parts and bent needles etc, I tried zipperrescue.com and none of those fit so ended up finding all of the parts locally for next to no cost.