Possible New 30+ Owner from E27 Owner

bigtyme805

Member III
Hello everyone, just wanted you all to know that I put an offer on a 1985 30+ in Santa Barbara. The boat is originally from San Francisco called Swell Shelter or something like that. If anybody knows anything about this boat please let me know. Also any info relevant to a 30+ that I haven't already read would be helpful.

It will be quite a change from sailing my E27, but the extra space will come in handy. My friend Jeff Asbury will be surprised considering all the work I did on this boat. Someone will get a steal when they get my old boat. www.ericson27.org

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

tilwinter

Member III
backstay adjuster

Enjoyed your web site. Nice pics. Not clear how you attached the backstay adjuster to the deck. Any close-ups?

bigtyme805

Member III
I attached it to the backstay, drilled a hole in the stainless steel attachment.

If I have a pic I will take one for you.

Just closed the deal on the 1985 30+ I am now the official owner.
The sea trial went well and is sure different then sailing my e27. Right after the sea trial on the 30 had one for my boat and the gentleman bought it. Amazing week and I am very happy. I now need to learn about the 30+ characteristics.
This boat has a huge main sail and points in the wind very well. I haven't used a wheel in a long time so that will take some getting used to.

Any tips would be helpful.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow Don! Business must be good.

Wow Don,

Good for you! Yes I am bit surprised but I can't blame you. You have a sailing family and I am sure you can use the space. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think you can get for your Amigo after all the new paint, canvas, Radar and major upgrades you have done to her? I have seen your pics and you made Amigo absolutely Bristol. Send me a private message if you like.

Congratulations. The E-30+ is even better for Channel Islands conditions I am sure! Post some pics of your new love when you can. Glad to hear you stayed with a Ericson! Business must be good.
:egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin:
Jeff

bigtyme805

Member III
Jeff thanks for posting the pics, that is the boat. She is a beauty, you know I love ericson's. The 30+ really appealed to me and after the sea trial it was conclusive that I wanted this boat.

I will post some more pics when I finish with putting the dodger on.

escapade

Inactive Member
deja vu

Don
You've followed the same path we did! Started with the E27, then the 30+. Great sailing boat, a little tender to about 15 deg. heel but stiffens up nicely after that. Sailed her all over Lake Huron for 6 years. Both racing & cruising. The only reason we sold her was to get our present boat, an '88 E34. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I might be able to shead a little light for you. Congratulations on a fine boat!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud 88 E34 #265 "Escapade"

bigtyme805

Member III
Bud first question of the day.

What was your experience with this boat when to reef? It has such a big main compared to the E27. When the when kicked up on the E27 I usually rolled in the jib but I am reading on the 30+ it is best to reef the main at 15k and at 18-19k to double reef the main to get the best out of this boat. Is this your experience?

I have only been out in 10k wind so far, but would like some feedback how she sails from people like yourself who have had experience.

escapade

Inactive Member
to reef, or not to reef????

Don
15kn for the first reef is a pretty good rule of thumb. I have carrier a full main & #1 to 20+ when racing without breaking the boat but you'll get a MUCH nicer ride with the reef. I found that 1 reef and reduced headsail after 22kn worked good, kept the boat in balance. Second reef at about 28-30kn depending on point of sail & a #4 will be a good combo to 35+. After that best be looking REAL hard for a place to duck into. Boat will take LOTS more but most crews won't! Best bet is to take these recomendations & play around with them to see how your boat reacts. Differences in cut of sail & sail controls make a huge difference. I was set-up w/boom vang, Harken traveler, backstay adjuster and 4 headsails to choose from. If you can't flatten your main enough all the relative wind speeds will need to be lowered. Same for headsail. Hope this gives you a starting point. Relative to the 27 the main does need to be reefed a little sooner but the deeper draft & hull shape offset some of the differences.
Hope this helps you any enjoy!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers: