Portlight Hazing

Gary Freeburg

Member II
My small oval portlights, especially the forward port side, are hazed over to the point of translucency. I know there are several products out there to clean, clear and restore them back to transparency. Any recommendations from those who have had success with this?

Thanks,

Gary Freeburg
E 27 Katmai

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I use plexus on my windows but its effectiveness will be determined by what's happening with the polycarbonate. If a vinyl gasket was used, it will craze, irretrievably. It can only take rubber gaskets. You will have to replace the lens with glass if vinyl is used.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Novus

http://www.novuspolish.com/

I use Novus #2 on my hazed ports and hatch lenses, and then follow up with Plexus.
This lasts about 6 months at a time.

You might want to start out with the least abrasive Novus #1, and see how it looks.

Loren

Shadowfax

Member III
Loren,

Will Novus work on sun damaged hatches? The clip on the web site sounded that they where better at scratches. I don't know what the sun damage is, but is it scratches?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,

Will Novus work on sun damaged hatches? The clip on the web site sounded that they where better at scratches. I don't know what the sun damage is, but is it scratches?

Hmmm, well, it's not going to fill in a scratch, and completely buffing deep enough to remove the scratch would take some time and cotton cloth and elbow grease. I guess the answer is something like "it depends."
It does remove some of the surface layer with the UV damage and light abrasions/haze.

Perhaps the best plan is to try it one hatch or port lens and see how you like the result.

Best,
Loren

TRMN8R

Member II
http://www.novuspolish.com/

I use Novus #2 on my hazed ports and hatch lenses, and then follow up with Plexus.
This lasts about 6 months at a time.

You might want to start out with the least abrasive Novus #1, and see how it looks.

Loren
Been using this stuff for YEARS on windscreens for my motorcycles; its the best. Agreed, start off with #1 and use liberally. Let us know if you do and what results you get..............reminds me, mine need to be done too!:egrin: