port replacement 35-II

Dave N

Member III
Is there an opening port sold today close to the dimensions of the 6 smaller fixed ports on the boat?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Lewmar has those ports. I have two in my 30+ and I believe those small ports are the same size in all Ericsons, just like the larger trapezoidal ports.

Lucky Dog

Member III
I'm working on a one. It will be casted out aluminum. Looking into clear powder coating.
Hope to have all the "little details" worked out by spring.

ml

Dave N

Member III
lewmar

I had hoped the lewmar would work...but they are an inch and a half taller than the originals. Sadly, they will not fit. The 35-II has that lip just above the port...not enough height...and then, by the ports above the aft lowers there is that chainplate coming up the outside cabin side.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I doubt you will find a "direct" replacement. I just replaced all the fixed trapezoidal windows on my boat and after removing the original ports it became clear that using slightly larger windows and re-cutting the openinings more precisely would be an improvement. I had Bomon fabricate the new windows to my measurements. If you have windows made you may find, as I did, that the radius on the corners may have to be larger, requiring at least a little enlarging of the openings. I am not that familiar with the Ericson 35, but I have seen several Ericsons with Lewmar replacements for those small windows.

paul culver

Member III
I also recommend Bomon. I sent them the opening port in the head and they made a very nice replacement. I only had to trim a short strip about 1/8 inch wide out of the fiberglass to make it fit. I installed it with the foam strip seal they provided (no sloppy sealant) and NO leaks at all.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Monty Beed

Member I
Replacement ports

I spent a lot of time chasing down possible options for new ports. My Mk II had the original LEWMAR non opening ports. I replaced them all with opening ports from New Found Metals. The smaller front six ports will require only a small amount of cutting. It is a strait forward process if you rent the available cutting and drilling templates. The main portlights in the galley area will require two different sized ports and a fair amount of cutting. I found the quality of the New Found Metal ports to be excellent. The are heavy and well built. I ordered my ports with the optional tinted glass. I also ordered the optional teak trim rings. All of the trim rings for the six smaller ports are wonderfull. Two of the larger trim rings had issues. One arrived broken and had abvious structural defects and the other had been drilled improperly and them filled and redrilled. When I called the company they explained that the trim rings are made out of scrap teak. That fact is not on the website nor was it ever mentioned when I placed my order. I applaud the great use of left over teak, I am not happy with a two of the trim rings. They said thay would send me replacements and after three months I have not heard from them nor recieved replacements. I will most likely make my own replacements. That said, these ports are still a BARGAIN! I do not have the new ports installed yet as I am prepping for painting.

Last edited:

Dave N

Member III
Paul Culver

The Boman ports are a great size. But, they only make a fixed port. They will make a sliding opening port, but not an opening port such as the Lewmar product.

Monty Beed

Member I
Ports

I can not remember which ones I purchased to replaced the foward six ports and the boat is masked for painting and all the ports are in the boat. Sorry. If you go to New Found Metals website thay have a listing of ports and optipns with drawings and dimensions. As soon as I can get back into the boat I will send you a picture of the ports that I purhcased and the size.

Monty

Monty Beed

Member I
Opening ports

O.K. the New Found Metals ports I used are the 4x14" in stainless with tinted glass and teak spacers. Here are two pictures. Ports are not installed yet as I am prepping for paint. 4x14#1.jpg
4X14#2.jpg

Dave N

Member III
OK, thanks.

My cutouts are about 5 1/4 X 13 1/4... I'll check out the NFM port cut out requirements.