Poor steering on my 1373 Ericson 27'

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
PLEASE HELP! Poor steering on my 1973 Ericson 27'

I recently hauled the boat and replaced the plastic bushing around the rudder post, installed a new prop, but now the tiller pulls pretty hard to port.:esad: Any ideas on how to correct this?

The boat was hard steering before. Problem seem to happen mainly under power.:boohoo:

Last edited:

paul lasker

plastic bushing

i can not help you with the rudder but I have a question for you. Where was the plastic bushing located. Under the cap of the tiller? or below?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It is a very thin tubular bushing that wraps around the rudder post, about 1 1/2 - 2 foot long (like a sheath). I just deal with the pull while under power.

It is the result of prop wash in front of the rudder while under power. The boat sails fine. I am considering a adjustable tiller extension while under power.

Jeff

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Hi Jeff, still screwing with your screw?

Hey, I no got plastic bushing or anything like that, just rudder post through tube. Am I missing something or do you have some add-on?

I don't know what to think about your pull-to-port problem...

I can tell you that when I went to install an inboard diesel engine instead of the outboard motor, I decided to re-do the factory installed stuffing tube. It was definatly angled to starboard and not in-line with the keel. I didn't like it so I fixed it and patted myself on the back. The boat tracks perfectly now but guess what? When I put it in reverse, she won't turn to starboard to save my life. The stern will run straight back and then start to turn to port. No matter what direction I turn the tiller, I end up with the stern running to port.

I got to meet all my nice neighbors last week by nearly ramming into them. Everyone came out to shout advice and to fend me off. (Lot's of fun, you should have been there.) I am wishing I had stayed with the outboard about now.

You got any advice for me?
I just feel like I am running around in circles... :boohoo:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My problem in reverse is not as bad, but I do have some problems. I just push the boat out as much as I can in the direction I want it to go, then jump on and put it in reverse at low RPMs.

Good Luck

Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Steering: Torque or Friction?

With an inboard you will commonly find that the stern walks to port in reverse.
(Unless you have a Volvo inboard diesel) :rolleyes:

It's worse when starting from a standstill, when the rudder has no initial water flow over it. Going forward, most sailboats will have some "torque steer" -- the severity seems to depend on how close the prop is to the rudder, and whether the builder chose to slightly angle the propshaft, like the older C&C's.

So, it will vary with the model of boat you have. We 90% cured the reverse problem by going to a feathering prop several years ago. What with less drag under sail and the additional thrust in reverse, we justified the cost. (But then, we sailors always find a way to rationalize spending money on our boats...)
:)

Now, OTOH, if *friction* in the steering is the problem, you will need to see if your model has a grease fitting in the FRP molding around the rudder shaft, and if grease is actually getting through it, and... if decades-old grease has combined with salt crystals to harden around the rudder shaft... drop the rudder and clean up the shaft and tube and start over with new grease...
:(
I should also add that some boats have no "balance" in their rudder design and their helm will always feel "heavy" and less responsive. Look at your rudder profile and see if it has any area in front of the shaft entry. This area in front of the pivot point balances the "feel" on the helm. I have sailed boats with zero blade area forward of the pivot point and they felt heavy and also were quicker to develope weather helm. Remember the early 70's C&C's with the Scimitar-shape rudders and the old Tanzers? :boohoo:

"It's always something!" as Rosanna used to say on SNL...

Best,
Loren in Portland, OR

Last edited: