Polar diagram for Ericson 28-2

DanielW

E-28 Owner
Does anyone have the polar diagram for an Ericson 28-2?????

I know it's a long shot but fingers crossed.

Best

Daniel

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Be nice to have one for my model, too. I don't recall any in the archives (archive now now being reconstructed and temporarily unavailable).

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Polars

I do not think they exist for either boat, as one would have to have been measured and rated under a measurement rule (not PHRF) to obtain one. I know they exist for the Olson series, the 38's and the RH boats, and the 32-2 and 35-2, but those won't help you much.

I hope I am wrong about this, but I think this is the case.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you all do not mind a dumb question from up here in the cheap seats, but IF there were such a chart for an E-30+, would it be scalable for the other nearby Ericson fractional rigs in that BK design lineup?

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Not really

Although the 28+/28 was built from the 30+ mold (I think this is where you are going), it is really a different sailing boat and as such the polars would not be close enough. Weight distribution is quite different, stern shape and sail area differences make it hard to compare. IMHO, that is....................

windjunkee

Member III
Seth, there are polars for the 32-2?

I'm gearing up VOR for the Guadalupe Island race and I'll be using "Expedition" for all kinds of things, including weather data display, below-decks chartplotter, AIS display and routing. Routing works if we input polar data. If I recall, I had to estimate VOR's polar data for Deckman back in 2006 when we did Puerto Vallarta but I've lost those numbers and don't have the deckman program anymore.

If there are polars for the 32-2, where might I find them?

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Polarsd

I'm gearing up VOR for the Guadalupe Island race and I'll be using "Expedition" for all kinds of things, including weather data display, below-decks chartplotter, AIS display and routing. Routing works if we input polar data. If I recall, I had to estimate VOR's polar data for Deckman back in 2006 when we did Puerto Vallarta but I've lost those numbers and don't have the deckman program anymore.

Jim McCone
Redondo Beach, CA

Jim,

I would have thought you got them when your boat was measured-or were you always sailing PHRF?? I was under the impression you had gone through an IMS or IRC measurement, after which you would have some polars, but maybe I was mistaken. The only other way would be to search for an old IOR certificate for a 32-2 with your rig size and pay someone like Alan Andrews or other local yacht designer (or measurer??) to develop the polars from them-AFAIK...

Sorry.

Good luck to the Island!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

Jim McCone
Redondo Beach, CA

Jim,
That looks like a very challenging race. Will you be sailing it double or single-handed?

windjunkee

Member III
Seth,
Back in 2006 when we were gearing up for PV, we looked for polars but didn't have them. We already had the basic PHRF rating when we bought the boat. It hasn't changed over the years. We're still a slow boat, but we do sail maybe slightly above our rating of 180. If its windy, if there are long, straight legs, we do well in relation to other boats. If its a tacking race, we suck.

When we bought Deckman, I also bought a program that could be used to calculate polars, but I don't have the program any more, don't remember what it was called and don't think it was very accurate.

Alan, we're sailing doublehand - my wife Shannon and I. I've been eyeing that race for years. I keep wanting to do it and something always seems to come up. This year, the SAME DAY we made the final decision to do it, I get a call from a friend who asks if we are interested in doing MEXORC on a Santa Cruz 70. That sounds fun - but this is the year for Guadalupe. We gotta take the plunge.

Jim McCone
Redondo Beach, CA

Matey

Member III
Just tagging on to the thread and interested in 32-2 polars. I'm with you Jim .. buoys = bad, distance or coastal = good. My kid and I do this series up here. They've added a couple more ocean races which I'm glad of. The 1st race, 3 Bridge Fiasco was a drifter and we DNF'd. Got a 1st and 2nd in last couple years on HMB Race, a fun one. The offshore requirements have go through the roof though. About $2K worth of equip and training. Good luck on the race

http://sfbaysss.org/main/racing/

Regards, Greg

Jim McCone
Redondo Beach, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
IPolar

While my response won't address your question directly, it may be close enough. There is an app on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipolar/id577106473?mt=8) that allows you to calculate your boat's polars. The price is about $11.

I checked this out, and while it sounds nice, I have trouble seeing how it could be accurate based on the following being the available inputs:
Length Overall
- Displacement
- Mainsail area
- Jib area

(units can be set to metric or imperial)

Optional data:

- Length Waterline
- Symmetrical Spinnaker area
- Assymetrical spinnaker area

Without the waterline number it would be really bad, but even with it, there are no entries for hull shape, and the B/DISPL ratio is really important, as are so many other variables. If you enter you jib area as a 105% for example, the polars are all wrong for the 150%, 130%, etc.. I do see it is interactive and can learn, and maybe over time could be more useful, but right off the bat it is not going to give very good data. Cute, though.....