PNW Rendezvous - July 14-15-16 - Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA

TKBLACK

Member II
I'm happy to arrange a side-dish. I'll be cheating... uh, I mean, walking up to Matthews Smokehouse and coming back with some cole slaw and potato salad or something (I don't have refrigeration). Might see if they have wings or some other kind of finger food I can bring, too.

Bruce / Makana

PS, I once made my living as a rigger.... if there's interest in a *very* informal talk about (e.g.) how to tune a rig, or some similar topic, count me in.
Your rigger talk was concise and useful. Thanks B Gary. We kept viewing the masts of the Ericson folks after your talk!
TKBLACK second caretakers of ACHATES PSE 34-2

TKBLACK

Member II
We enjoyed a great weekend with everyone! Thanks for making the album Jesse, Chris probably has more photos but I snapped this one Saturday morning. Four Ericsons together - Pepper, Quincy, Gravlax, and Touchrain (plus Brass Dragon’s mast).

View attachment 47605
Beautiful memory photo!
Wonderful and very informative Pacific NW Rendezvous 2023.
All is well that ends well.

Update on leaving Orcas via ferry system ( the “reservation system“ via land line phone was overwhelmed and hung up on us 3 times. We simply caught the first sailing back to Anacortes via standby. FOG slowed the vessel but safe arrival was the result.
Good health and safe travels to all.
TKBLACK - ACHATES

Virginia

Member II
Thank you to all who attended the PNW Ericson Rendezvous in Deer Harbor. It was a wonderful time meeting, connecting, laughing, and learning with each and every one of you - 9 boats and 22 sailors! Boats arrived from Olympia through Canada, each loaded with character, charm, and style. Absorbed in enjoying the present moments throughout the days, I forgot to capture a group photo. Our topic leaders gave us much food for thought on Electrical (Alan), Rigging Tune-Up (Bruce Gary), and Electronics (Marlin) - very helpful information all across the board. From the potluck, individual connections, the white elephant exchange, champagne birthday celebration (50 years for Sagres), Jeopardy, the boat tour, and more - you all rocked this weekend! The greatness of these gatherings is a reflection of all you are. To those who attended, thank you for being present, making the journey, and to those who tried, our hearts and thoughts are with you. Looking forward to the Rendezvous 2024.

TKBLACK

Member II
As I mentioned recently, driving up (or even flying in) is a lot more complicated that I naively imagined. We are staying home this time. Ironic that attending by Ericson would be much easier and cheaper. Our boat needs some further attention, too -- new house bank this week. Heavy and expensive chore. There will be other summers.
Edit: ordered up the new pair of Trojan T-145+ batteries today.... two weeks until delivery.
Dear Loren and Kathy,
You missed so much information on the new lithium battery systems at this gathering. Mostly however, we missed you and Kathy. We did want to see your updated sole project.
happy remaining summertime
Tom and Karin Black

TKBLACK

Member II
How many boats, and how many sailors, attended the rendezvous this year?
Frank
WE MISSED YOU FRANK. Were your ear’s burning?
It is energizing to attend a PNW Ericson Rendezvous because of all the brilliant and inventive minds gathered together in collective conversations. Perhaps the 2024 meet up in Canada will see you there.
Somewhere on Vancouver Island in ‘24 might be easier to attend via automobile?
TKBLACK here.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
WE MISSED YOU FRANK. Were your ear’s burning?
It is energizing to attend a PNW Ericson Rendezvous because of all the brilliant and inventive minds gathered together in collective conversations. Perhaps the 2024 meet up in Canada will see you there.
Somewhere on Vancouver Island in ‘24 might be easier to attend via automobile?
TKBLACK here.
Thank you! We have attended three previous Ericson rendezvous in the past, and will again in future years. We had registered this year, but then our daughter, husband and three young children booked their holiday to visit us here on Vancouver Island from July 9 to 16. As our kids and grandkids always come first, our decision was made. But we thought of you all, wondering how it was going, and are glad it went well.
We're looking forward to next year! :)
Frank

TKBLACK

Member II
Thank you! We have attended three previous Ericson rendezvous in the past, and will again in future years. We had registered this year, but then our daughter, husband and three young children booked their holiday to visit us here on Vancouver Island from July 9 to 16. As our kids and grandkids always come first, our decision was made. But we thought of you all, wondering how it was going, and are glad it went well.
We're looking forward to next year! :)
Frank
In a previous post you mentioned many B&B opportunities- so good to know. Thanks.
Happy remainder of 2023
TKBLACK

Touchrain

Member III
Thank you to all who attended the PNW Ericson Rendezvous in Deer Harbor. It was a wonderful time meeting, connecting, laughing, and learning with each and every one of you - 9 boats and 22 sailors! Boats arrived from Olympia through Canada, each loaded with character, charm, and style. Absorbed in enjoying the present moments throughout the days, I forgot to capture a group photo. Our topic leaders gave us much food for thought on Electrical (Alan), Rigging Tune-Up (Bruce Gary), and Electronics (Marlin) - very helpful information all across the board. From the potluck, individual connections, the white elephant exchange, champagne birthday celebration (50 years for Sagres), Jeopardy, the boat tour, and more - you all rocked this weekend! The greatness of these gatherings is a reflection of all you are. To those who attended, thank you for being present, making the journey, and to those who tried, our hearts and thoughts are with you. Looking forward to the Rendezvous 2024.
Thank you for organizing, Virginia. You did a bang-up job.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Finally wrapped up a dreadful day in my work in-box, and have a minute to reflect on a really great Rendezvous. It was fun to meet everyone and it's awsome to see how seamlessly a bunch of strangers can turn into a community when we share something in common.

Pretty good mix of boats... here are the distinctively beautiful bow-profiles of three 38s and a 39....

IMG_3928.JPEG

We also had a rare and beautiful 36C - I hadn't seen one in the flesh (in the teak?) for many years. Brass Dragon is an impeccable example.

IMG_3927.JPEG

...and, the proud crews of the 39 and the 36C...

IMG_3926.JPEG

After a 50th-birthday celebration for Sagres, we shared lots of good food and laughter at the potluck on Saturday!

Who actually ended up going home with the mermaid? Inquiring minds wanna know...

IMG_3934.JPEG

Marlin and Virginia were **awesome** hosts and MCs for the evening (thank you!), including an Ericson-themed game of Jeopardy.

Who knew @Christian Williams was his very own Jeopardy category?!?!

IMG_3939.JPEG

...and then, a nice sunny sail back into the Sound. Pretty great weekend!

IMG_4008.JPEG

Last edited:

Andy

Awesome photos @bgary !
Hopefully one day I'll be cool enough to fly the spinnaker single-handed ;)

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome, excellent time, and the wealth of knowledge last weekend. We didn't know exactly what to expect showing up to our first rendezvous but it certainly surpassed all expectations! Kudos to @Virginia and @Marlin Prowell

If anyone is ever in the Bellingham area and feels like a sail or needs a deck hand- we'd love to get some sailing in!

-Andy

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The secret is being lazy <lol> I have my deck gear set up so I can do just about everything from the cockpit, so launching and dousing the kite is not a lot of effort. shhhhh, don't blow my secret :p
And there is always an asymmetrical on a furler and sprit!

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
@bgary was wondering about the mermaid because he initially selected it in the white elephant exchange. It was lurking inside an oil extractor box that was avoided for many turns. But it was quickly stolen from him (an item could be stolen three times) and then stolen twice more. It ended up with Lilith, the Canadian Ericson 39, and they promised that it would return next year at the next Rendezvous.
IMG_7650.jpeg

Virginia

Member II
@bgary was wondering about the mermaid because he initially selected it in the white elephant exchange. It was lurking inside an oil extractor box that was avoided for many turns. But it was quickly stolen from him (an item could be stolen three times) and then stolen twice more. It ended up with Lilith, the Canadian Ericson 39, and they promised that it would return next year at the next Rendezvous.
View attachment 47646
And…what about that oil extractor box…will it return…?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
...just now catching up with you guys... Looks like you had a great time! The images are wonderful and the PNW (and the low humidity) is very much missed!

//sse