Pluming Sea Water in Galley

Captain Crunch

Member II
Plumbing Sea Water in Galley

I currently use the old bucket method to get sea water into the galley sink to do dishes. I would like to plumb sea water through a faucet or the existing old fresh water hand pump that is still mounted next to the sink without drilling another hole in the hull. I was thinking about tapping into the raw water intake line. Good idea? Bad idea? Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Tapping into the raw water intake.

Dear friend, If by "raw water intake", you mean that for the engine, check first that your fresh water hand pump won't allow air to be pulled backwards (suck on the hose to check) and into the raw water cooling hose to the engine that could possibly create an air lock in the cooling system. If that is the case, fit a dedicated 3/4" seacock to the hull under the galley sink and get salt water that way. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

boethius27

Member II
I think somebody else on here said once that they used the water out and the water in on the same thru-hull but just added a y-valve so the two don't mix.

Sounds good to me, and I'm thinking of doing that....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Conservative approach: always have a dedicated raw water supply to the engine, via a good quality strainer.
It takes only a minute or two of running dry to ruin an impeller -- followed closely by silence from the engine room, and that's guaranteed to occur when you are motoring hard against steep waves in a restricted channel with rock rip-rap on both sides...
:rolleyes:

Some folks have manifolds and check valves connected with the engine intake... but I would not be comfortable doing such a thing.

Remember that seaman Murphy is always looking for opportunities to ship out with you -- why do something to invite him aboard? :esad:

My .01 worth,

Loren

Sid

BOATBUMMS
raw water

I plumbed a raw water system into my 36c. I teed off the head intake and installed a check valve, ran the hose to bait pump (or wash down because of salt water) then to the galley sink with a faucet. The system works with a foot switch. Has been in the boat for eleven years with no problem.

WhiteNoise

Member III
Dedicated only

I agree with Loren. The chance is too great.

I suppose as an alternative you could put a T off the sink drain instead. After all, you have to open that one anyway when working with the sink. ;)

Captain Crunch

Member II
Using the out thru hull sounds like the best solution.... But won't the waste water mix with the new water below the Y fitting. Has anyone else done this? Do you attach the Y fitting right after the thruhull? Any pics available?

jthistle

Member II
Sea water...

I was thinking the same thing. You would end up with waste water (coffee grinds...) in the saltwater supply as you wash the dishes. How about plumbing a "tee" at the cockpit scupper thru-hull? I'm thinking that would work.