PLB/Personal Locator Beacons vs. EPIRBs

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Did a search and didn't see any recent threads, so thought I'd ask.

What recommendations do people have for PLBs?

I'm familiar with the more traditional EPIRBs, but... as I will mostly be alone, the idea of having a 406-enabled PLB clipped to my inflatable vest seems more practical than an EPIRB down below. Especially if I fall off the boat O_O.

Anyone have particularly good (or bad) feedback about the ACR PLBs? Ocean Signal? Others?

Thx

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Did a search and didn't see any recent threads, so thought I'd ask.

What recommendations do people have for PLBs?

I'm familiar with the more traditional EPIRBs, but... as I will mostly be alone, the idea of having a 406-enabled PLB clipped to my inflatable vest seems more practical than an EPIRB down below. Especially if I fall off the boat O_O.

Anyone have particularly good (or bad) feedback about the ACR PLBs? Ocean Signal? Others?

Thx

We use the ACR's. They test just fine and clip to our PFD's nicely.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like a GPS Epirb on the boat, and safety harnesses mandatory at night or whenever appropriate.

Full racing crews have retrieved crew with amazing success recently. I doubt I could do it in conditions when it mattered.

Different strokes.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Yeah, the bilge pump thread has me thinking about those various strokes.

I won't (generally) have a crew, so being pulled back on board isn't one of them.

Rather, I'm thinking through things like
-- what if I find myself in the dinghy, getting swept out the Strait in the dark and cold?
-- what if I find myself in the water, getting swept out the Strait in the dark and cold?

In some scenarios, a boat-mounted (presumably float-free) EPIRB makes sense.

But there may be worst-case scenarios where a 406-equipped PLB that is "always on my person" (fastened to my inflatable vest/harness) is better. And with little downside, because absent that whole "in the water" thing, it will be on the boat, too.

Dunno. Just thinking thru it.

I will say I have largely rejected the satellite trackers (SPOT, DeLorme) in my "emergency tool" thinking. Yeah, it would be great to be able to allow loved ones to track my progress and get a status message. But in an emergency, I want a direct 406mHz line to the USCG SAR center.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I plan to take the ACR with me if I abandon the boat.

And if I fall overboard in 30 knots and 20 foot seas, I'll just swim back and get it. Using the backstroke, which was my favorite event in high school because you could see the girls cheering.