Plastic Halyard Exits

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Anyone know where to get new ones? They snap into the mast and mine are pretty brittle. Any chance Kenyon still sells these? I am referring to the exits on a 1989 E 38-200.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Halyard Exit Plates

Did not see them on the rigging page you mentioned. What I am looking for are the plastic inserts that go on the mast where the halyards exit. The prevent the edge of the mast from chafing the halyards on their way down to the blocks at the deck. I am not looking for exit sheaves which would be at the top of the mast. I have seen stainless plates that can be used but I like the originals and was hoping to find new ones. Also any idea where to get decent spreader boots. I am not fond of the ones that are sort of oval shaped as they dont fit well when you have 2 shrouds exiting the spreader. I have seen the canvas type but don't know about them either. The ones that I took off the mast were great, just not in great shape anymore. I'll try and get a picture.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Are you talking about "Halyard Exit Plates" (see page 1055 of the 2004 WM calatog). When you said plastic, I assumed you were talking about the plastic inserts that are used to keep rain from entering where the shrouds connect to the mast. My mast has SS; can't imagine why you would prefer plastic.

As for spreader boots, my yard uses a gazillion rolls of rigging tape. Works well and looks good (to me, anyway).

oceandreams89

Member II
Ted,

I replaced all of mine last year with the Schaefer stainless halyard exit plates. Some are flat backed, and some have a slight angle back. If I remember I needed two with the curve and 3 with the flat backing. They are about 20 bucks each or so. They look great and will not pop out like the old brittle plastic ones did. I sealed and rivited them to the mast, and they fit perfectly over the old holes.

Also, 2 gallons of bottom paint should be more than enough. (from you other post.) I usually buy 1 gallon and 2 quarts as mentioned by others as well. I use Petit Horizons multi-season ablaitive paint and over coat every year.

Regards,

Todd

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Exit Strategies...

I would bet that these are the same snap-in black plastic (nylon?) exit plates that I have on my '88 vintage Kenyon spar. Call Rigrite (www.rigrite.com) and ask if they have any more of these laying around. They may be out or just have only a few left, since they no longer reference them on the parts page of their site. I note that their site still has SS Kenyon exit plates, however.
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/KENYON.html#Kenyon Replacement Parts

I find that the plastic plates have a habit of coming loose every so often and sliding down the halyard... Perhaps the slots were cut a 32nd too long on my spar. :confused:

Please let us know what you decide to do.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 Fresh Air

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks guys, I will most likely end up using the stainless ones, I was hoping to get out of drilling and popping rivets... They probably are better than the plastic ones anyway. Still looking for spreader boots I like though. I may end up reusing the old ones. Anyone bought a mast boot from rig rite? Looks like they still stock the boot for my e38-200, but i have not called them yet. Anyone know where I can get an LED masthead light for a good price? Only seen 130 so far.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I picked up some spare spreader tip boots several years ago. I seem to remember asking Rigrite about a new mast collar boot for my particular Kenyon section and they had none to sell.
I put a new LED masthead anchor light on when we re-wired the spar a couple of years ago. I remember the price being a bit over $100.
(After spending $1400. on a new set of ST60 instruments and replacing all the standing rigging, the anchor light expenditure did not seem so significant!)
:)

Best,
Loren

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Spreader Boots Like these?

The ones I'm looking for look like the attached. If anyone knows where to find these please advise. Thanks,

Attachments

• Spreader boot.jpg
    Spreader boot.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 352