Plans and specifications for a 1978 35 foot Ericsson 2

mgruning

Member I
A Naval architect named Alan Andrews is designing a new rudder for my 1978 35 foot Ericsson 2 and would love to have plans, drawings, and or specifications of the hull and keel so he can work on the design before hauling the boat. I would be happy to compensate anyone for their trouble who has either hard drawings or an electronic format of the hull. The only thing I have is an old brochure with a schematic of it.

Please feel free to contact me 310-741-1713 if you have any follow-up questions.

Thanks so much,

Mike

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Hi Mike,
There is no need to have a new rudder designed for your 35 MKII. About twenty years ago I was considering installing an Ericsson 38 rudder on my 35MKII but a called Bruce King first. He said yes I know people do that and he told me to call Foss Foam as they are they company that makes all the Ericsson rudders.
So I called Foss Foam and I forget the gentlemans name but he said that Carl Shoemaker of Express fame and other great designs has designed a new rudder for the Cal 40 that is perfect for the Ericsson 35MKII.
I asked him to send me a line drawing of it which he did. I faxed (yes it was a long time ago) this drawing to Mr King. He layed both the E38 rudder and Carl's Cal 40 rudder over each other so I could see the difference and faxed it back to me with a note saying that Carl's Cal 40 rudder was the way to go.

It has been the single biggest improvement I have made to the boat and it helped me win the 2004 Single Handed Trans Pac Race.

Link to Foss Foam
http://www.boatrudder.com/

Good luck.

mgruning

Member I
Hi Mike,
There is no need to have a new rudder designed for your 35 MKII. About twenty years ago I was considering installing an Ericsson 38 rudder on my 35MKII but a called Bruce King first. He said yes I know people do that and he told me to call Foss Foam as they are they company that makes all the Ericsson rudders.
So I called Foss Foam and I forget the gentlemans name but he said that Carl Shoemaker of Express fame and other great designs has designed a new rudder for the Cal 40 that is perfect for the Ericsson 35MKII.
I asked him to send me a line drawing of it which he did. I faxed (yes it was a long time ago) this drawing to Mr King. He layed both the E38 rudder and Carl's Cal 40 rudder over each other so I could see the difference and faxed it back to me with a note saying that Carl's Cal 40 rudder was the way to go.

It has been the single biggest improvement I have made to the boat and it helped me win the 2004 Single Handed Trans Pac Race.

Link to Foss Foam
http://www.boatrudder.com/

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the incredibly quick response and what could potentially save me $$$. If I'm not being intrusive, I would love to speak with you at some point and if your boat is local, possibly get a feel for the helm with that rudder at some point (I will supply the champagne and food). If you wouldn't mind sharing with me your phone number and where your boat is berthed, that would be great. -310 741-1713 Mike Gruning

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I didn't look close enough at you name. There is a Mike Gunning in Southern California that is a big electric propulsion proponent. He has installed 120 electric drive units in sailboats over the years on the west coast. He checks in here from time to time. I was thinking you were him :).

Last edited: