Plan(hope) to circumnavigate Vancouver Island late this summer

Sven

Seglare
A few of us technomads are preparing to circumnavigate Vancouver Island in July - August - September.

For us to join we have to get up the coast which either means bashing it or going via Hawaii. Depending on the weather we'll probably go for the Hawaii route.

We'd love local insights as well as insights into how to get up the coast via either the bash or Hawaii.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Keith,

If you harbor hop all the way up the coast there are many fine stops to make along the way. I always though it would be cool to sail to Ft. Bragg, to Humbolt Bay, Coos Bay, etc.

We'll probably harbor hop on the way down the coast. Going up is probably too much of a bash unless we go off shore or even via Hawaii. I've been looking at the GRIB files the last couple of weeks and most of the time off-shore is the place to be for down-wind sailing.

Thanks for the links, I'll add them to the planning !

-Sven

Andrew Means

Member III
So it's faster (easier?) to go all the way to Hawaii than to sail directly up the coast? How does that figure? Are the prevailing winds directly south?

Sven

Seglare
So it's faster (easier?) to go all the way to Hawaii than to sail directly up the coast? How does that figure? Are the prevailing winds directly south?

Going off the coast, maybe as far as Hawaii, can make it a mostly downwind or beam reach sail. Following the coast can be painful (per others' experiences) as you are fighting prevailing winds and waves. Quite a few stories of people waiting and waiting for a weather window just to get around Point Conception.

-Sven

PDX

Member III
Going off the coast, maybe as far as Hawaii, can make it a mostly downwind or beam reach sail. Following the coast can be painful (per others' experiences) as you are fighting prevailing winds and waves. Quite a few stories of people waiting and waiting for a weather window just to get around Point Conception.

-Sven

Coming back across from Hawaii isn't any sure thing weather wise either. Maybe it is if you're just coming back to SoCal, but the North Pacific storm track doesn't disappear in the Summer. A couple from our marina spent a lot of time waiting out in the middle for the storms to clear last summer. I don't rememer how long exactly but it was several weeks. And this was after they had spoken to professional weather forecasters in Hawaii, in person, and been assured they had a good window.

Sven

Seglare
Coming back across from Hawaii isn't any sure thing weather wise either. Maybe it is if you're just coming back to SoCal, but the North Pacific storm track doesn't disappear in the Summer. A couple from our marina spent a lot of time waiting out in the middle for the storms to clear last summer. I don't rememer how long exactly but it was several weeks. And this was after they had spoken to professional weather forecasters in Hawaii, in person, and been assured they had a good window.

No such thing as a safe bet for weather. Just read about one couple (a few years ago) who got stuck, just as you mention, might even be the same folks ? It is still the preferred route.

-Sven

PDX

Member III
Its certainly the preferred route for ease of sailing. I'm less certain about it being the reliably fastest route. Are you on a timetable that requires you to leave the Sound in time to sail back to SoCal? Or will you leave your boat up there for the winter? People in my area (lower Columbia basin) who summer in the Sound like to head back by early September. And they are only sailing to Astoria.

Sven

Seglare
Its certainly the preferred route for ease of sailing. I'm less certain about it being the reliably fastest route. Are you on a timetable that requires you to leave the Sound in time to sail back to SoCal? Or will you leave your boat up there for the winter? People in my area (lower Columbia basin) who summer in the Sound like to head back by early September. And they are only sailing to Astoria.

Ease of sailing is the objective. This is for the pleasure of exploring, nothing else.

We'll play it by ear but we'll probably start coast hopping south by mid-September. Realize this is still in the formulation stage and that we reserve the right to adjust the plans as needed while we investigate the options :egrin:

-Sven