Pigtail Tale

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was pleased to find the PO's (Previous Owner's) expensive 30 amp Marinco pigtail in my storage locker, and then less pleased when I tried to use it to run a polisher off the dock power source.

A glance at it will reveal what I failed to notice.

Hmmm. Male plug.

Question: what is such a pigtail used for? Can't run a typical appliance off that no matter how hard you scratch your head. Need female. I figure the PO ordered the wrong pigtail many years ago. Unless I am missing something obvious.

pigtail 30 amp.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having to deal with "foreign" docks with a varying plethora of AC outlets, from 15 amp to 20 amp to 30 amp.... we have a collection of adapters stashed away.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Christian,
I have a 30 amp shore power cord, the normal yellow one that most of us have, the pig tail in your pic is like mine and attaches with the black part to my cord, then I plug the male yellow end of the pig tail into the 15 amp shore power outlet on our yacht club dock. Many marinas are replacing 15 amp with 30 amp outlets, but when you dock at a marina with 15 amp outlets, you will need that pig tail to make the connection.
Frank

jtsai

Member III
I was pleased to find the PO's (Previous Owner's) expensive 30 amp Marinco pigtail in my storage locker, and then less pleased when I tried to use it to run a polisher off the dock power source.

A glance at it will reveal what I failed to notice.

Hmmm. Male plug.

Question: what is such a pigtail used for? Can't run a typical appliance off that no matter how hard you scratch your head. Need female. I figure the PO ordered the wrong pigtail many years ago. Unless I am missing something obvious.

View attachment 42289
Plug the male end to a regular 120V outlet at boat yard, plug a regular shore power cord to the female end. Now your boat AC system is energized.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plug the male end to a regular 120V outlet at boat yard, plug a regular shore power cord to the female end. Now your boat AC system is energized.
And when you use the shop vac at the same time as your portable heater, you can 'test' your circuit breaker on your AC panel.... :)

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yeah, but climbing down and back up the ladder to reset the breaker is good exercise!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I see. My docks don't have house current outlets, just the standard 30 amp connections. But a boatyard would. Makes sense.

I used to briefly power heavy gear--heat gun, grinder--off the boat AC system outlets. But that's asking a lot, and trips and ruins GFCIs.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
One thing I've noticed when using that particular pigtail is that it, and the end of the boat's shore power cord, are quite heavy compared to typical 15-20 amp extension cords. The weight will pull the plug halfway (or more) back out of the socket unless you rig some sort of strain relief, like a bungee or lanyard with a carabiner or two. Best just to leave it attached to the pigtail, (or in the same bag) so it's there when you need it.

Similarly, I noticed a large motor yacht that has come to live at our marina has a chain rigged up on their 50-amp adapter that not only holds up the assembly but allows it to be padlocked in place. Seems like a good idea, considering how much these things cost. Especially the "smartplug" systems. But then again, they don't leave the dock very much.

peaman

Sustaining Member
And when you use the shop vac at the same time as your portable heater, you can 'test' your circuit breaker on your panel.... :)
The nearest outlet to my boat while hauled is about 150 feet away. I used the pigtail in question to connect to a heavy-duty extension cord. I've had no problem using a small vacuum cleaner, an orbital sander, a heat gun, etc, but I only use one appliance, plus lighting, at a time.

Heavy duty extension cords are so much cheaper and more convenient than a similar length shore power cord.

David Grimm

E38-200
I use my homemade version to run my air conditioner while on the hook. Plugs into my Preditor 2000 generator from HF. I have to keep the xantrex charger off while doing so. Not enough power for both. I keep the generator exhaust pointed over the stern which is the way the wind will carry it while at anchor. It has ran for 8hs and doesn't use all that much fuel. I can barely here it up in the V Birth with the ac on. I keep a CO detector close by just in case.