PHRF rating for E28+

Gary G

Member II
I am looking into an organization out of Waukegan Harbor (north of Chicago on Lake Michigan) that conducts a "Race for Fun" racing series. It looks to be set up to be a less competitive and less intimidating approach for new sailors/owners to get into racing. I believe the weekly evening races are sponsored by the Anchorage yacht club. They claim to provide an onboard mentor to new racers/sailors which is an idea that really appeals to me. I have two questions. (1) Does anyone have experience with this group? (2) Does anyone have any examples of PHRF ratings for an unmodified E28+ on Lake Michigan? (Mine's a 1983)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
E 28+ Ratings

Seth's peanut gallery shows a base of 183 with 155% Genoas. Nationally, the range is 183-189.
If you can get your local PHRF board to be happy with 189, you did well
, and with a good bottom, PROPERLY MANAGED PROP (haha), which means folding or at least 2 blade fixed and aligned vertically, and some decent sails you will do just fine. Don't forget a backstay adjuster. This is especially important on this boat because it is a bit tippy, and if you can blade out the main as the breeze comes on you will be much faster than if you are dragging a big full main around. Good times.

PS_Couln't resist the prop comment!