Photos of Ericson's Under Sail Day! Aug. 3rd!

Mikebat

Member III
My analog pictures taken with my vintage Olympus OM-2 and chemical sensor (Fuji Pro 400 and Kodak Portra 400VC) should be back from the photofinisher in a day or so. Kodak no longer does PhotoCD, but they do Picture CD for $2, which gives you a bunch of medium-resolution JPEG scans of your photos on a CD, good enough to choose which images to send off for a full-size print.

I'll send each of you who participated, a CD of the full set of pictures I took (three 36-exp rolls) and you can choose which ones you want printed at full size from the negatives. 400 speed film should be good for a 16x20" print if you want one that large.

I'll send another copy to Sean E. in case he wants to add some new shots to the photo rotation on the EY.org site.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Nice Pictures

Guys it looked like a great day for the photo shoot. I see no "Marina Del Ray Burgees" either:). I sure love the lines on Martin's E31, just might have to get me one of those someday:egrin:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Here's a few more pics...

Attachments

• regalus4.jpg
    regalus4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 69
  • regalus2.jpg
    regalus2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 59
  • cucamonga4.jpg
    cucamonga4.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 61

Meanolddad

Member III
It was fun drifting around with the other Ericsons. Jeff, I think I would owe you about a minute a mile in handicap and the Independence about half that. Regulus likes the light air.
Every one send me an address back channel and I will send all the photos I have and a disc of the digital. Let me know what negatives you want and I will send them. The 35mm seems to turn out much better than my digital camera. We took around 85 35mm and close to 100 digital pics. There should be something good.
Here is a downsized picture of each boat, Jeffs crew and my crew finding a new use for winch covers. She makes a father proud.:rolleyes:
Greg

Attachments

• Sail mail send 1.jpg
    Sail mail send 1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Sail mail send 2.jpg
    Sail mail send 2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Sail mail send 3.jpg
    Sail mail send 3.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Sail mail send 4.jpg
    Sail mail send 4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Sail mail send 5.jpg
    Sail mail send 5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 74

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Photo Exchange

Well, it was a successful turn out despite the lack of wind. Please send me you addresses back channel and I will mail out a CD of all the hi res photos as well as contact sheets. You then will have the option of making your own prints from your computers or taking them to a lab.

Like I said earlier, they are a little grainy but that can be doctored out. I am a Graphic Designer by trade and can do the retouching on the ones you like, just as long as you keep it down to just two or three. I will retouch a couple of each boat that I think are good shots and include those is a separate folder titled "Retouched" on the CDs I send out.

Those of you who took 35mm, you can just send me the negatives and if possible a contact sheet and I will take care of the processing. If you have some good digitals, just send me a CD.

Give me about a week to get these done and mailed out, or maybe we could meet in San Pedro or Long Bach some where for coffee and exchange the photos that way.

Thanks for posting the great shots Martin & Greg. Greg, love the winch cover hat. Very resourceful!:egrin:

Beam Winds
:cheers:
Jeff

Last edited:

Meanolddad

Member III
OK folks
The final tally is "Pride of Cucamonga" 39 35mm and 73 digital photos, "Summer Wind" 26 35mm and 28 digital photos and "Golden Girl" 17 35mm and 11 digital photos taken. I have split up the prints and made a disc for each boat of their images. Send me an address the next day or so and I will mail them off to you. The 35mm prints are marked on the back so I can keep the negatives straight. After you look at the prints let me know which negatives you want and I will send them off.
The light seemed a bit softer in the morning with the overcast, it was a bit bright once the sun broke through. Lots of nice pictures, not many action photos.
Greg

Mikebat

Member III
No wait! My photos are ready, I will post some samples later today after I pick them up. I shot 3 rolls, 36 frames each.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I mailed out CDs to Greg and Bill today with a few of the better shots as laser prints as well contact sheets. There are two folders on the CD. One titled "All Photos" are every photo of your boat I took. The other folder titled "Retouched" has a few that I thought were the best shots, so I spent some time retouching them.

The print outs are from a Xerox Color Laser Printer. If you take the CD to a photo lab or even CVS or Rite Aid, you can have glossy enlargements made.

Thanks for coming out to play!

Martin, could you please send me your address again?

Thanks

Jeff

Mikebat

Member III
Here we go. The in-house scans done by CVS were awful. The prints were also pretty awful. I will not cheap out and will send to Kodak next time. Fortunately the negatives should be usable, and I'll get those to Jeff this weekend for some professional care.

I've only done color and contrast balancing with Picasa. Like I said, the scans were pretty bad, so these pics are not all that great. I am sure the negatives will yield much better color if printed professionally, not by "I'm Kodak certified" at the drugstore.

Attachments

• golden_girl_1.JPG
    golden_girl_1.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 62
  • regulus_1.JPG
    regulus_1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 64
  • summer_wind_1.jpg
    summer_wind_1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 64
  • regulus_2.JPG
    regulus_2.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 68
  • summer_wind_2.JPG
    summer_wind_2.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 56

Meanolddad

Member III
I had the same issue with the CVS picture CD, complete waste of money. The CVS near me did well with the prints though. We will let the professional, (Jeff), give his opinion once he has the prints. They went out today so Jeff and Bill will have theirs tomorrow or Friday. The prints from the 35mm turned out well on my end.
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I Bill,

That's a great way to show everyone all the shots and allow us to pick and choose. Yes I would like to get a CD or make a copy of the originals on you camera if the resolution and size is larger. These shots are 8.5" X 11" @ 72 dpi. A little small. The ones I am sending you are 13.5" X 18" @ 180 dpi.

I notice you live in Pedro so I would love to pick up a CD if possible.

They are very sharp photos. Thank you!

Jeff

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Ericsons Under Sail Day

Jeff,
I will pick up the memory card from my grandson tomorrow and have the discs made. I will call you when I have them and we can make arrangements to get together. Brother Joe and I will be at the boat late saturday morning at Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club. slip D 35.Maybe we could meet there. In any event, I'll call you. (Wait a minute--I don't have your number. Just leave it on my cell phone's voice mail please)
Thanks,
Bill

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well,

That sounds great Bill! I will give you your photos at your slip because I never got to the Post Office after all yesterday. I will send will call you and leave a message with my number. I would love to see Golden Girl up close!

Jeff

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Some of my favorite shots!

Some of my favorite shots to come out of the Ericson Photo gatherings!

Thank You all. Still proud of my MDR Burgees!
:egrin:

Attachments

• CucUnderSail2.jpg
    CucUnderSail2.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 69
  • CucUnderSail3.jpg
    CucUnderSail3.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 55
  • CucUnderSail4.jpg
    CucUnderSail4.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 74

Meanolddad

Member III
We got many great pictures of Regulus thanks to all that participated. The best part though was sailing with a group of Ericsons. Mike, we still owe you some pics of Valinor under sail, we should be out on Sunday.:egrin: There is suppose to be wind this time.

Thanks all
Greg