Perpetual Motion Machine

Sven

Seglare
Lew warned me it might happen, but I was still surprised.

After a wonderful day sail including a whale encounter with a noisy exhalation and another encounter with a pod of smaller pilot whales, the wind died so we ended up motoring the last 4 NM back to the dock.

Once we'd tied up I tried to turn off the engine ... no such luck. The trusty old Perkins just kept going and going and going and going and going.

I finally found the air filter in the manual and unscrewed it. Lew had suggested putting my hand over the intake but given how the engine inhaled air I worried I'd end up with the worlds biggest hickey in my palm. I finally managed to put the air filter cap on upside down with a tight enough fit so the engine finally got quiet.

So, now the question is what should I do about it ... what parts should I bring to the boat for the 1-2 week sail we'll take over the holidays ? I'll do a bunch of googling to see what I find but usually the best answers show up here so I'll ask.

Thanks,

-Sven

Guy Stevens

Perkins 4-108

Electric shut off?

Then the most likely cause is that the switch that turns the selenoid on is not working. Then the next is that the selenoid is broken. (IF so,,,, then you can order the part from Perkins, for something like $250), or you can wire in a standard FORD electric door lock motor off of any ford in the 1970-1990 era. With 20 years to pick from most junk yards or even the brand new shop will sell them for less than $30.00.

IF you need help with installing one so that it works, drop me a note back Chanel and I will send a photo or two.

Guy
:)

Sven

Seglare
It is indeed a Perkins 4-108 (M).

Electric shut off?

Then the most likely cause is that the switch that turns the selenoid on is not working.

Dang, I didn't test the switch before the 2.5 hour drive home. That would have been the easiest answer. If it is the solenoid itself and it is intermittent (as Lew had also experienced it in the past) then I assume the solenoid is sticking rather than having failed outright ? If I can locate it, might rapping it with a piece of wood make it close ?

I'd really prefer to have it under control before we head out in a few weeks but we won't get down to the boat before then. Now that I know the manual shut-down procedure works we'll at least have a back-up plan if all else fails.

Thanks Guy,

-Sven

Lew Decker

Member III
Hey Sven...It's only the spade connector on the fuel shut-off solenoid. You can locate it with the manual or just look to the right of the heat exchanger. Pull the spade off, scrape the connector a little, return it to it's place of glory, and you're good to go.

You can try the more expensive fixes, but...

:esad:If I had never mentioned that shut-off trick, this never would have happened. Maybe you bought some of my Karma???

Of course, you got to see whales. We hadn't seen any in more than a year. The little Perkins knew this.:egrin:

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Hi Lew,

Hey Sven...It's only the spade connector on the fuel shut-off solenoid. You can locate it with the manual or just look to the right of the heat exchanger.

I checked both the manual and the operators guide but neither references the shut-off solenoid. I'll just trace to it from the shut-off switch when we get back down there. I'll try cleaning that connector.

I think the 12 volt problem was a loose connection at the breaker panel. After I'd checked all the fuses and switches the outlets came to life :)

The whales were neat. The first sighting I missed as Nancy was at the helm and I was down below. When it (they ?) re-appeared there was no doubt about it ... the blow-hole whoosh is pretty distinctive. I expected to catch a whiff of their legendary fishy breath as it was just up-breeze from us but no such luck.

The pilot whales stuck around for a while, following behind us. I also thought I saw a couple of flying fish ... are there any in the San Diego area ? It could have been some of those small birds that skim across the wave-tops a few tens of yards at a time, but I didn't see any birds where the flying-fish (?) landed.

A very nice couple of days.

-Sven

Lew Decker

Member III
Yep - Lots of flying fish around. We were usually good at sighting critters, but our luck ran thin for some reason. Outside of that huge leatherback turtle last year, we hadn't seen much at all.

The fuel shut-off is within easy reach with the engine uncovered. The heat exchanger is the gray can-looking affair with "shorten zinc" written in black marker. To the right near the hoses there is a tube shaped solenoid with one wire connected near the aft end. That is the culprit. Clean it up and it will be okay for another year. Or, clean it up and slide some shrink tubing over the connector to slow its rate of corrosion.

As for stopping the engine, the fuel shut-off might not work if you turn the key off first. That is supposed to be a huge no-no since I've heard you can damage the alternator by turning the key off before the engine stops. Anyone out there know this for a fact? I always shut the engine down before switching off the key, so...

Personally, I never closed the thru-hulls on any boat I ever owned. I suppose it might be prudent. I think that if your boat is in good shape, the odds of being struck by lightning are just as good as being sunk by a bad hose connection. Actually, I knew a guy who had his boat get struck by lightning - twice!:esad::esad: - Yep - Fried everything even remotely related to electrons. The second time he said there were balls of fuzzy arc-light bouncing around in the cabin. Neither strike blew out his thru-hulls, though, something I've heard can happen. Maybe I'll change the subject.

Check this out...

http://www.burnettyachtdesign.co.uk/images/125/amelia 4.jpg

:egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin:

Sven

Seglare
As for stopping the engine, the fuel shut-off might not work if you turn the key off first. That is supposed to be a huge no-no since I've heard you can damage the alternator by turning the key off before the engine stops. Anyone out there know this for a fact? I always shut the engine down before switching off the key, so...

That would sure be an easy mistake to make so I hope turning that switch off isn't the same as disconnecting the batteries (which I thought was what would collapse the fields in the alternator and blow it out). As a matter of fact I was trying to trace the electric diagram just to see what was turned off or on when the key was turned, other than just the hour meter and gauges . Is the fuel pump mechanical or electric (starting to think about fuel polishing) ?

Thanks for the solenoid location info.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Lot's of interesting info about your Perkin's. Do you not have a compression release valve like I do on my little one lung Yanmar? That's my go to switch if I ever have that issue. Maybe that only works on one lungers? I know what your going through trying to get a boat ready when it's all the way down in San Diego. Been there and done that. If an when you bring her up to San Pedro the Perkins / Yanmar Dealer and Service is S & W. A friend of mine is the parts manager and they do carry some used surplus parts for Perkins. Not sure if you knew about S & W. They are located in Wilmington.

S & W Diesel, Inc. 336 N. Lakme Ave. Wilmington, CA 90744. Tel: (310) 835-3155

http://www.swdieselinc.com/

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Not good to use the compession release to shut off the engine. It's only supposed to used for starting. It makes it easier to start turning the rotating mass to start the engine with a hand crank or weak batteries.
It's best to shut off the fuel or air to stop.:)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Not good to use the compession release to shut off the engine. It's only supposed to used for starting. It makes it easier to start turning the rotating mass to start the engine with a hand crank or weak batteries.
It's best to shut off the fuel or air to stop.:)

Interesting, I swear I read that was recommended in the Clymer Manual I have, although other mechanics I have talked to don't seem to put a lot of faith in what Clymer books say. I have never needed to stop the "Perpetual Motion Machine" in any other way.

Lew Decker

Member III
No compression releases that I know of unless you're talking about my old Volvo MD-2B:egrin: - That thing was hard to hand start, but it could be done. Great engine.

Sven, the fuel pump is of the mechanical variety. It does have a manual lift pump, but it might have been designed back when the dinosaurs ate the crops. Crude, but fairly bullet proof.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Lew,

To the right near the hoses there is a tube shaped solenoid with one wire connected near the aft end. That is the culprit. Clean it up and it will be okay for another year. Or, clean it up and slide some shrink tubing over the connector to slow its rate of corrosion.

That took care of it !

We didn't get to go anywhere yet due to the weather but I did start and stop the perpetual motion machine :)

Thanks.

-Sven