pedestal steering on ericson 35

Burton Mohr

Member I
I have a 1977 35-2, when I purchased the boat it had tiller steering. the orginal pedestal steering was included with other spare parts..I have installed the pedestal , chain,cable and quadrant.NEED to know how to anchor the control cables in the top end of the pedestal .

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
On my 1971 E35 I have a Edson system. The cable is two pieces of cable with chain in the middle. The chain is on a sprocket at the top of the pedestal, the ends are looped through stainless I-bolts which are bolted to the quadrant. The cables are secured with stainless u-bolt cable clamps.
Hope this helps.

Burton Mohr

Member I
pedestal steering

thank you for your reply, I have the steering part completed. Iam having trouble hooking up the engine controls inside the pedestal. need to know if there is special brackets to anchor the cables for the engine and trasmission.

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Ah, I see. I dont have my controls on the pedestal, but I think there is a plate that goes between the pedestal and the compass that holds the housing of the cables.

Burton Mohr

Member I
Thanks for your help phil, hope to see you on the bay some day. I'll be the one looking down the inside of the steering column trying to figure out how to get the engine in reverse.

escapade

Inactive Member
Burton;
You failed to say if you have a Yacht Specialities or Edson pedestal. Both were used on Ericsons. Edson has a website www.edsonmarine.com that has a diagram showing how the cables are ancored in the pedestal. The Yacht Specialites pedestal is somewhat similar but unfortunately I no longer own the Ericson with that system and don't remember exactly the setup. Both require that the outer sheath of the cable be firmly ancored someplace. Hope this helps you out.
Bud E34 "Escapade"